VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Madge (1999 Beetle 2.0 AEG auto) has developed a major oil leak. Coming from behind the filter I believe it is the O ring where the oil cooler mates to the filter flange. Wife started it last week on a cold morning and noticed a black trail of oil following her down the hill. She brought it back and parked it. When I went to move it around my house to the shop it was about 60 degs out and it lost more than a quart in route to the shop no more than 100 ft. away. I thought there must be a hole on the block. Looked her over and no hole to be found. :)
Anyway I removed the filter and the cooler. The big O ring between the cooler and flange was dry and cracked in half. I am assuming this is the leak.In the quest for more knowledge (this sometimes gets me in trouble) I removed the flange from the block. bolts were tight and gasket intact when I removed it.
With the quest for knowledge still unsatisfied I looked more closely at the flange and its components. I removed the cap and the spring and the piston that comprise the pressure relief valve. When I removed the piston I noticed that there was a small piece of what looked like an O ring on the end of the piston where it bottoms out in the bore. There was only about 1/3 of the little rubber O ring left on the piston. Could not find the rest of it.
My question is............. Does this little O ring act as some sort of check valve to keep the oil in the flange when engine is off?
Also I went to remove the check valve from the top of the flange (I believe it is there to keep the oil in the top end when engine is off) and noticed it was loose in its threaded hole and had backed out to the hole to the surface of the block. when threaded completely into its seat it is about 1/4 in. below the mating surface. Don't believe this would hurt anything as there is no other passages in this bore that would be blocked/opened due to movement of this valve.
Anyone have any knowledge of this and how vital the little O ring is on the end of the pressure relief piston? Also wondering if the rest of the o ring might be blocking a lubrication point.
Thoughts...:confused:
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is leaking oil from the rear crankshaft seal, I found a replacement part, number 06A 103 171A. But I`m unsure if it`fits my car, it`s a NB 2.0 AEG engine 2001, auto transmission, I think it´s 01M4. How can I be sure if it fit?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Mine is leaking oil from the rear crankshaft seal
I though my rear main seal was leaking, too, but it turned out to be the seal between the block and oil cooler that the OP talked about. The oil will drip from the same place on the engine and it is hard to tell what the source is.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I just replaced my oil cooler o-ring; the old one was smashed, hard and the oil cooler was loose. With the new one on; no more oil on the oil filter and less need to top off the oil as well! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts