VW Beetle Forum banner

making 3d printed cupholders

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  mystix 
#1 · (Edited)
I made myself a set of cupholders for my beetle that I am enjoying. ..and now after some encouragement putting them up for sale on Ebay for those who are interested in their own.

Im reviving an idea that I remembered starting here. I have multiple beetles with old cupholders that are past useable. The cupholders on all the used Beetles Ive seen have been in terrible condition, and that includes the cars Ive gotten.

I came here to the forums because I remembered someone used to sell them here. ..but they aren't making them anymore. So I looked at all the designs that were available and wanted some different features. So I designed my own set.

If someone is interested in them.. Feel free to drop me a note if you want a different color. All the ones Ive done so far are black. ..I would however like to start making them in different colors that complement our cars. Soon Id like to make green ones to go with my Cyber Green beetle for example.

Its always stressful to release an item to other people, so I attempted to test them in as many ways as I could think of. Drop tests, heat tests, and stress testing the attachment clips for example.

So if you're interested here is my ebay ad for a single..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192492792608?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

The original links no longer work, but there are new ones further down in the thread. Updated 09-10-21

Also I am planning on a set of 4 as well..
(edit) Set of 4 is now available here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202272581573?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Right now, based on used cracked beat up cupholders selling on Ebay for $15-$20 I priced a single at $20 and will have a set of 4 at $60.

Design notes:
I wanted to be careful not to unfairly use other peoples work.

Fuzzyfish if you're still out there, I did look at your design as part of my research. So thank you for the inspiration of the idea. I saw you released your STL but under a non-commercial license. So I did completely do my design from scratch, referencing another below, and your material was not used.

I confirmed my dimensions and referenced this holder made by RubyFox and released as CC, attribution sharealike. This design is completely redesigned and not truly 'derivative' but referential credit should be given.
1998 - 2002 Volkswagen New Beetle cup holder 1C0862531 by RubyFOX

--------------------------------------------------------

updated links so you don't have to look through the thread:

Here are the current working links to the cupholders:
Set of 4 Custom 3d printed black ABS New Beetle Cupholders, replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For a set of 4 black ones.
1 Custom 3d printed black ABS New Beetle Cupholder, directly replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For a single black one.
New 3d printed ABS New Beetle Cupholder, choice of 5 colors. Replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For all the colors I have avail. (Red, dark blue, lime green, grey, black) in sets of 4 or single.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I now have color available! :)

The black is still available, but I have now added dark blue, red, shiny grey, and cyber green as requested.

Note about the cyber green. Its a complex color, and given that my 99 cyber green beetle has varying shades depending on where you look I was going for a green that looked like a good compliment, not an exact match. The exact color is Pantone 365c. If I find a filament that comes any closer I will update.

The current ebay ad is here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202559840847?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
The original links no longer work, but there are new ones further down in the thread. Updated 09-10-21

Or if its been a really long time and the ad has changed, you can look up my seller profile (mystix) there as well.

#6 ·
Looking, over your ebay photos; I'm curios, if the bottom of the cup holders, are designed to engage with the original vw mounting/lock/ points, they designed into the console assembly. If this is the case, you might post up some photos and include that in your description, so others don't have to ask or wonder, if they lock in place. Thanks.

#8 ·
Hey I got those updated pictures available for the base of these cupholders, and added them to my ebay listings as well.

Also made note that these are made to fit in the fixed position cupholder slots. They are not designed to fit any sliding or moving cupholder designs found in some Beetle consoles. (Though I would love to get a hold of some of those to make replacements of them as well.)

..and thank you to those of you who have gotten some!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I just noticed another detail to one of the questions, about the holders locking in place.

Yes the holders do twist and lock in place to the original lock points with no modifications needed.

Current ebay listings.. I think these will continue to be available for quite a while. The previous ones were going month to month, but Ive made them continuous now.

Single black:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202592978341

Set of 4 in black:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202592974532

All my current colors - choose color and either single or set of 4: Right now I have dark blue, red, shiny grey, bright green (meant to go with my cyber green beetle), and of course black:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202592976549

#11 ·
Keeping this fresh so people know that I am still active with these.

I have added a darker grey set as well. Pictured with a stock grey cupholder for color comparison.

Will update with a new ebay link when I get them up there.

Attachments

#12 ·
As ebay refreshes the posts they get new addresses. So here we are with a quick update for those who are interested..

For black, grey, red, blue, or bright green:

For a set of 4 black cupholders you can use this ad also:

Price is $17.50 for 1 and $60 for 4, shipped.

If these ads time out, feel free to look for my Ebay username, which is the same as it is here, 'mystix'.

Also.. coming up I'm making some replacement flower vases as well. ..but I'll make that a post on its own.

#14 ·
Its been a while since I said anything on these, but I don't want anyone to think the project is abandoned. Still make these and selling them regularly on Ebay. The above link works still.

Also I am just about to start listing my flower vases. I got distracted away from making new posts for a few monthes with all our Spring 2020 quarantine issues.

#15 ·
#16 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Just checking in. I got a message saying the links to the cupholders weren't working so had to double check things. They are working for me still, as they should be. Still making them and sending them out into the world. Still really happy with them as they stand up well over time. Still on the original set in my daily driver years later now.

If the links to the above ads do break at some time, you can search for the user Mystix over on Ebay as well. I use the same name in both places.

Edit: I see what happened. The links from the original post didn't work anymore, but the ones further along do. So I edited the old messages to reflect that.

Here are the current working links to the cupholders:
Set of 4 Custom 3d printed black ABS New Beetle Cupholders, replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For a set of 4 black ones.
1 Custom 3d printed black ABS New Beetle Cupholder, directly replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For a single black one.
New 3d printed ABS New Beetle Cupholder, choice of 5 colors. Replaces 1C0862531A | eBay For all the colors I have avail. (Red, dark blue, lime green, grey, black) in sets of 4 or single.

#17 ·
This new member was asking about your cup holders.

#19 ·
Wow.. checking back in on this original thread just to update everyone that I'm still making these. Theres not a lot of makers out there for NB stuff, but its getting to be more needed as time goes on. If you have need feel free to search them and me out on Ebay to see what I currently have available. I have a new set printing out as we speak, and my original ones are still in use on my NB as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.