NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing how expensive the Thule and Yakima racks are decided I'm going to fabricate my own roof rack. I'm looking for detailed pictures on how the PIP rack clamps work in the rain gutter if anyone has any. Its going to be all TIG welded out of aluminium should look schweet in the raw on the silver beetle. I'm going to use my own design for an arm that locks/holds two DH bikes and works as stackers for whitewater kayaks that i came up with for my truck rack.

I already pulled the weather stripping out of the rain gutter looks like plenty to grab onto there with a spreader/tensioning system on the base towers. Lets hear some ideas!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
never seen a custom one but probably the easiest way would be to use a clay mold of the gutter system then reverse engineer the dimensions from the clay or whatever you use. getting that right would be the hardest part IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no time for clay molds... tack welded in place on the car with base clamp pieces sitting in the rain gutters:) Basese are short enough they don't even need to be curved and all bars are straight. I'll post pics if I finish it this week

·
Registered
2 Posts
no time for clay molds... tack welded in place on the car with base clamp pieces sitting in the rain gutters:) Basese are short enough they don't even need to be curved and all bars are straight. I'll post pics if I finish it this week
did you ever get detailed photos of a pip rack? i just picked one up last night and can provide photos if needed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts