NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jeez!!! Waht did you break and is the city going to pay for your damages? Just when we thought we had to look out for potholes....now we also have to keep an eye out for manholes!!
Good luck with your damage, and post pics if you have any.

·
2000 Cyber Green GLX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It actually happened a year ago now. As you can see in the pictures, that on ramp has two lanes...they were fixing the pavment and had yet to block off the one lane that the manholes were in. I was crusing behind a van at normal speed but who expects a manhole sticking 6 inches above the ground.

I managed to wreck:

Lower control arm, SUB Frame, Cracked Transmission mount, Cracked transmission case, pretty much scrapped the hell out of the underside of the car, i felt the rear tire come off the ground.

There were 6 people in a volkswagen that same day for the same man hole. Its an VW/Porsche Dealer, one of the people had a 911 carrera. A girl in a golf, had her car completely written off cause the actual frame was bent and all air bags went off, along with the same stuff i busted.

The city is not paying for it, apparently all the people who had this accident are getting all of their insurance companies to murge together and fight the construction company that was stupid enough to not put any signs or baracades up. I hit it at about 3ish and went back at about 7 and they had just put baracades up.

unfortunatly i dont have any pictures, but all you could see was the broken tranny mount that was barely hangin on.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
all I have to say is OUCH!!!! and I hope you filed a claim with the city. They should pay for the damage, but then again the question is: Is your bug lowered or is it stock height? If it's lowered then the city might say that if you hadn't lowered it might have not been damaged. They might also pull the "Well your car is too low and legally it should not be on the road. They get like that when they don't want to pay.

I would still sue the city since they hired the construction company and the city usually has someone supervising the construction company.

Do you know if any other cars were damage by the same manhole?<----nevermind just saw your post.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Damn, Sorry to hear about this, where abouts was the on ramp that you had the run in with the man hole? (I might have to avoid even more construction zones ;))

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
The car will never be the same. Look at it as if someone got hit by a bus. You know that the person would never be the same as before he got hit.

·
2000 Cyber Green GLX
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The manhole was in edmonton i dont think you have anything to worry about crazyjames.

my car isnt lowered, its just low to begin with. As you all know.

I was only going as fast as the van in front of me would let me. Maybe 50 up the ramp. I had the transmission completely rebuilt.

There was a whole bunch more then just 6 people. That was only the volkswagen porsche dealership, let alone all the other car companies that make a low car.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
nbdude said:
The manhole was in edmonton i dont think you have anything to worry about crazyjames.
yet another reason to stay away from Edmonton ;) Hope everything works out with the class action lawsuit...

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
The insurance companies should be all over this.... they are not in the business of paying claims - so if they can pin fault on someone else, they'll break out their lawyers and do it. At least you have pics of how high it was..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also hit a man hole cover that was not marked as having road work ahead! I sheared my oil pan right off...it cost me $495. The kicker, I had the car for all of 6 days when this happened.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts