NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Ron-

Let's see what quota options there are. I don't want to be limiting to people, but I wouldn't mind setting a high (like 500MB or 1GB) quota on each person just to ensure no one person can spam us until the partition is full and lock up the whole system.

Also, see if we can make exceptions for individuals -- if so, we can make marvin's higher since he's done the how-tos.

Again, I don't want to be restrictive at all -- but I wouldn't mind using it as a security measure if possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
jcroft said:
Ron-

Let's see what quota options there are. I don't want to be limiting to people, but I wouldn't mind setting a high (like 500MB or 1GB) quota on each person just to ensure no one person can spam us until the partition is full and lock up the whole system.

Also, see if we can make exceptions for individuals -- if so, we can make marvin's higher since he's done the how-tos.

Again, I don't want to be restrictive at all -- but I wouldn't mind using it as a security measure if possible.
We could get around the how-to's by uploading them to a directory on the server, and then using the IMG tags...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
CrazyJames said:
We could get around the how-to's by uploading them to a directory on the server, and then using the IMG tags...
True, although he's already done a number of them. I think it's cool how he's doing them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume (Set to 0 to not have a limit)

We can limit this.



I think we'd be fine setting this limit (in the user group). We turn it off for moderators, we set a limit for registered users.

But I think we'll need an extra usergroup to be created. In the event I kick Marvin's ass to the curb :)stickpok:) over the hot-ha stuff ... we'd lose those how-to's. So I think we need like... a retired moderator group? We already have a few of those, we might as well deal w/it.

Which leads me into wondering what this 'promotion' stuff is dealing w/the userbase... I'll look into that.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
noR said:
Space (in bytes) that a user's total attachment usage may consume (Set to 0 to not have a limit)

We can limit this.



I think we'd be fine setting this limit (in the user group). We turn it off for moderators, we set a limit for registered users.

But I think we'll need an extra usergroup to be created. In the event I kick Marvin's ass to the curb :)stickpok:) over the hot-ha stuff ... we'd lose those how-to's. So I think we need like... a retired moderator group? We already have a few of those, we might as well deal w/it.

Which leads me into wondering what this 'promotion' stuff is dealing w/the userbase... I'll look into that.
That all sounds good to me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna set it at half a gig for the users.

When they hit the limit someone will probably yelp. Then we can extend it or choose not to based on then current conditions.


noR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
noR said:
Gonna set it at half a gig for the users.

When they hit the limit someone will probably yelp. Then we can extend it or choose not to based on then current conditions.


noR
Thats a hell of a lot of images per use...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
noR said:
Gonna set it at half a gig for the users.

When they hit the limit someone will probably yelp. Then we can extend it or choose not to based on then current conditions.


noR
Perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Done. Promotion stuff looks cool.

You take any combination of register date, post count, & reputation (and I mean ANY combo) and when they hit those certain #'s, they are either moved into another group (like jr member to sr member), or are just granted extra privilages (by adding them to a secondary usergroup).

Slick, but too much to mess w/at 5pm on a friday.

HOLLA!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,917 Posts
noR said:
But I think we'll need an extra usergroup to be created. In the event I kick Marvin's ass to the curb :)stickpok:) over the hot-ha stuff ... we'd lose those how-to's. So I think we need like... a retired moderator group? We already have a few of those, we might as well deal w/it.

Which leads me into wondering what this 'promotion' stuff is dealing w/the userbase... I'll look into that.
On the drive home Marvin mentioned something to me that I hadn't thought about...okay - I thought about this on the drive home...Marvin didn't actually speak to me.

What happens if one of our good contributors goes nuts and leaves - is there a way they could delete themselves and all the images they have posted?...sim. to what you said I could have done? Maybe the retired mod group should be a retired user group instead - for anyone that is banned or leaves...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We CAN turn off image deletion capabilities after a certain # of days of the image being up.... But that would/could cause problems when someone runs out of image quota space. That wouldn't be much of a problem w/500MB, but if we DO handle that subscription based stuff, then the smaller limit would apply and maybe cause problems.

MAYBE. The more I think while typing this out, the more I think it'd probably be okay. It probably wouldn't really happen TOO often to be dealt with (and if did we could alter the initial queue size or turn delete capabilities on for a day for that user). I don't think it'd happen often at all. Most people would donate, and I think those that really use the org w/images well, they'd get in there too. Maybe 'promote' them after several months to a 'step up' in storage limits, but not quite 'donated' level.

...
yea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,396 Posts
noR said:
It probably wouldn't really happen TOO often to be dealt with (and if did we could alter the initial queue size or turn delete capabilities on for a day for that user). I don't think it'd happen often at all.
Ok. Just a comment. I know you don't like it when people change ISPs and now a bunch of threads have the big red x's in them. Which is why you prefer it when people upload images rather than host them themselves.

With that in mind, I think it'd be better to turn off the ability of members to delete their own pictures. We can say this wouldn't happen, but how many times has someone gotten pissed and started deleting threads?

Slippery? TJ? It's happened quite a few times.

I think having that show up right in their "edit profile" area, it's just begging for problems. I'd rather see that turned off all together. If they run out of space (with 500mb I don't see how they would), we can deal with it then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think we have a miscommunication there pete.

[on disabling delete capability]
But that would/could cause problems when someone runs out of image quota space. That wouldn't be much of a problem w/500MB, but if we DO handle that subscription based stuff, then the smaller limit would apply and maybe cause problems.

MAYBE. The more I think while typing this out, the more I think it'd probably be okay. It probably wouldn't really happen TOO often to be dealt with (and if did we could alter the initial queue size or turn delete capabilities on for a day for that user). I don't think it'd happen often at all. Most people would donate,
I'd like to set a 2 day edit period or something. Enough so that if "oops, wrong picture" happens, it's no big deal.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top