VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, by now a good portion of you have met Manfred, my 2013 Red TDI. Manfred is awesome looking with his WWI fighter plane insignias and huge maltese cross on his fanny. He is pretty much stock and garage kept so he still looks nice. We have taken him to shows and GTGs all over the country, Roswell, Route 66, Blue Ridge Parkway, TOD and TSD, etc.

He is getting ready to come off lease and my health is better so we are going to get really silly now.

We are driving him to Alaska in 2017. Not just to Anchorage and Fairbanks, we are going to take him up the Dalton HWY to Deadhorse! (Think Alaska Pipeline, Caribou, Grizzly Bears, Ice Road Truckers).

Obviously modifications will be needed. This is the purpose of my post.

I want to Plasti-Dip the hood and front end with about 10 coats and then paint on the truck bed liner paint you can buy at Home Depot. Think Rhino Liner. Should be better than a Vinyl bra and I hope it will peel off with the plastic dip underneath. The rock chips I am told can be fierce. I expect to lose a windshield or two, but Safelite is in Fairbanks so I should be able to get one replaced.

Panzer plate goes without saying. Swing away spare tire mount on the stern coming off a trailer hitch maybe? Roof rack with a basket for 2nd spare tire. I will want to lift him 2-3 inches as the Dalton HWY is mostly gravel.NO AIRBAGS! I need a lift kit. I will paint his under carriage and wheel wells with many coats of the bed liner paint as well. We will also install the thick headlight protector film.

As my spare will be mounted on the stern, I will have the spare tire well empty. I will put a SS fuel tank in there and that will take me to about 30 gallons of diesel fuel on board. I would like a brush guard but can’t seem to find any that are mass produced. I may have to have that fabricated. I want some butt kicking off road lights but since we are going in the summer I probably won’t need them. At Deadhorse the sun is up for 63 days straight without setting so extra lights are moot. I just want him to look cool when he’s all Baja looking.

If you have any ideas for where I can get ahold of these items please let me know or any other suggestions or comments, please let tell me. Ray has a lift I can borrow for a modest amount of Beer so the underside work will be easier, Geo has offered to help me rip out Manfred’s emission control guts. This is going to be a team effort.

Estimated take off date is 10 June 2017 and we will be gone for a month. A little over 11,500 miles roundtrip from Jacksonville fl.

Thanks for your attention and time. I will post pictures as the transformation takes place.

You can send me suggestions here on the org or to [email protected].

Chuckie & Nurse Diesel

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate it!

I appreciate that Geo. He's going to need all the power he can get to turn those big knobby tires I am going to put on him. Not to mention the 2 full size spares and 15 gallons of extra diesel he will be carrying.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
I am going to follow along. Cant wait to see the new and improved Manfred!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping...

I was hoping that a few people would see the post and have some ideas where I could find the items I would need to make FrankenManfred into the Baja Beast I envision. The exterior mounted spare tire and front brush guard are the big ones. I have a lead on a SS circular fuel tank for the spare tire well. I think we can get a roof rack to hold a basket and the 2nd full size spare tire and rim.

If I have to have things fabricated I will. Just was hoping I wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly like that. I can't tell on the iPad what the spare mount looks like. I'll check it out on the big monitor tomorrow. The Roo Bar is exactly what I am after. I am sure it's a different mounting set up on a 2013.

Thanks for the pics! I need all the ideas I can get!

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Wow, exciting plans Chuck :bigthumb: Can't wait to see the progress. Driving to deadhead is not for the faint of heart.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Let me know how that plastidip plan works out for you... Before you waste time, money, and potentially your car I would spray onto something else and see how the chemicals react and how pealable it is. You might be better off with just dip. Dip doesn't like a lot of chemicals and I don't know that truck bed liner does either... Plus it might be too heavy and just fall off.

Things to think about but hopefully it works for you!

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the plan...

I am going to go down the road to the local Pick-A-Part and see if I can find a beat up old hood and experiment on it. If I have to, I will purchase a hood somewhere and use it for the trip and put the nice one back on it when we get home.

I originally thought of covering Manfred in astroturf, but that would screw up the red motif and you wouldn't be able to see the big maltese cross!

·
Gustav
349 Posts
Let me know how that plastidip plan works out for you... Before you waste time, money, and potentially your car I would spray onto something else and see how the chemicals react and how pealable it is. You might be better off with just dip. Dip doesn't like a lot of chemicals and I don't know that truck bed liner does either... Plus it might be too heavy and just fall off.

Things to think about but hopefully it works for you!
My Idea is to use 3M vinyl wrap on the hood the front part of the roof and pillars, bumpers and the fenders then apply 10 layers of Plastidip on the the wrap. This should be plenty to protect the paint from rock chips IMHO. It will also make it easy to remove after the adventure.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's an idea

The vinyl is a good idea also. Just might be a pain doing the complex curves around the front bumper and the rounded off fenders.

If they didn't cost so much I would just let it get beat up on the trip. I know I am going to lose a windshield or two along the way. I am afraid of what a hood and set of fenders would cost me.

Then it would at least look the part!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts