NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IKE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 New Beetle with a manual top. I have been trying to find a description on how to work the top. Everything I can find is for the hydraulic top. Does anyone have the such information? My issue is how does the top lock down when opened?

·
Registered
754 Posts
We also have an '05 NBC. On ours, you have to press down on the frame of the convertible top on the back two corners in order to get it to latch in the down/open position. I've not done it in a long time (it's my daughter's car), but from what I remember, it takes quite a bit of force to get each side to latch. If it's not latched on both sides, an alarm will go off when you try to move the car.

If you don't have the owner's manuals for the car, you should get them, in my opinion. The VW site used to have an iPad app for that, but nothing right now. There are sites online that will sell you a PDF manual for $8 US. I don't know if these are "legit" or how good they are.

·
IKE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual top operation instructions

Thanks for the reply. I have the same exact car. It's a project car which eventually will be given to my Granddaughter. It only has 68k miles but lived a hard life in DC and nothing was ever fixed on it.

I see the red buttons on each side in the back but wasn't sure what their purpose was. I take it they are the lock down toggles and need to be pushed when I want to raise the top.

BTW I do have a 2003 convertible VW manual but nothing is said about manual tops in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The main manual doesn't include information pertinent only to the convertible. There's a supplemental convertible manual that would have been delivered with the car.

And you are correct. To unlock the open top, you push down on the red tabs and it will release the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm buying a 2003 new beetle and got blank stares from sales people when I asked how you lock down the top since its manual and not power and I cna't find anything about it until now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts