NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the car's owner manual says the fluid is not to be serviced for the life of the vehicle. Does that mean no need to change it out? or still replace fluid after 150k miles or 200k miles? what do you'll think? or know from past experience ?

thanks guys:)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I change out manual trans fluid around 100k. Cheap and easy. GL4 fluid only.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transmission fluid

I would changed it every 50K Amsoil 75W90 GL4 Gear oil.
Well it's still running good and shifts normal, just the same as when it had 40k miles so that's why i was wondering. Pending any problems I might consider changing it later around 200k.
thanks for your imput.:)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Mine ran fine as well at 100k. Changing the fluid in regular, smaller intervals will allow you to see any problems as they start. And there is no filter or anything. Its good to do it and your transmission will thank you with a longer life :)

I used Redline GL4 75w90 in my manuals. Works great.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If the car's owner manual says the fluid is not to be serviced for the life of the vehicle. Does that mean no need to change it out? or still replace fluid after 150k miles or 200k miles? what do you'll think? or know from past experience ?

thanks guys:)
Depending how you define lifetime. I think waiting until the transmission dies might not be a good idea. ;)
I just changed mine (160K) and it was pretty dark. I actually switched to Penzoil Synchromesh which a lot of people seem to like. Of course a lot of people like to bash it because it isn't an API rated GL4 fluid but it's viscosity is still within the rage of a GL4 fluid and it does have EP high pressure additives which should be fine for the gears as well as the diff. So far nobody that has put it in their VW transmission has regretted it or posted any negative results, quite the contrary. Everyone that used it was very happy with the results and the smooth shifts. Some guy changed to the Synchromesh at 100K and then again at 200K without any ill effects. So I gave it a shot. It has been only about 2 weeks since I swapped it out but so far I can say it does shift a lot smoother and there is not notchyness whatsoever not even in the cold mornings below freezing. I can't argue that it isn't an API GL4 rated fluid since it isn't. Is it bad for our transmissions or differentials? Some say Yes, Some say No.
But all the negative comments are from people that never actually used it in their transmissions. Everyone that has used it liked it and they used it for an extensive period of time some over 100k Miles without any ill effects. So I said, what the heck.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gear oil

Depending how you define lifetime. I think waiting until the transmission dies might not be a good idea. ;)
I just changed mine (160K) and it was pretty dark. I actually switched to Penzoil Synchromesh which a lot of people seem to like. Of course a lot of people like to bash it because it isn't an API rated GL4 fluid but it's viscosity is still within the rage of a GL4 fluid and it does have EP high pressure additives which should be fine for the gears as well as the diff. So far nobody that has put it in their VW transmission has regretted it or posted any negative results, quite the contrary. Everyone that used it was very happy with the results and the smooth shifts. Some guy changed to the Synchromesh at 100K and then again at 200K without any ill effects. So I gave it a shot. It has been only about 2 weeks since I swapped it out but so far I can say it does shift a lot smoother and there is not notchyness whatsoever not even in the cold mornings below freezing. I can't argue that it isn't an API GL4 rated fluid since it isn't. Is it bad for our transmissions or differentials? Some say Yes, Some say No.
But all the negative comments are from people that never actually used it in their transmissions. Everyone that has used it liked it and they used it for an extensive period of time some over 100k Miles without any ill effects. So I said, what the heck.
thanks, :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I will be filming (You Tube post) the wife's and mine when I drain them and then compare the difference between them. The wife's NB has 147K and I have 295K.
WOW, great mileages! Congrats! When I changed mine at around 158k it did look a bit on the dark brown side. Of course Penzoil Synchromesh wasn't clear either but rather a honey brown color. Not sure what the OEM fluid looks like New.
I let the fluid drain for almost 2 hours but I still couldn't get 2 quarts back into the tranny case. I was on level ground and pumped in just under 2 quarts (roughly 1.7 -1.8 quarts) when the fluid started to leak out the fill hole indicating that it was full. Let me know how much you will be able to get into the transmission case.
Look forward to your video.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
WOW, great mileages! Congrats! When I changed mine at around 158k it did look a bit on the dark brown side. Of course Penzoil Synchromesh wasn't clear either but rather a honey brown color. Not sure what the OEM fluid looks like New.
I let the fluid drain for almost 2 hours but I still couldn't get 2 quarts back into the tranny case. I was on level ground and pumped in just under 2 quarts (roughly 1.7 -1.8 quarts) when the fluid started to leak out the fill hole indicating that it was full. Let me know how much you will be able to get into the transmission case.
Look forward to your video.
If I remember correctly, the transmission only holds 2 Liters; which is 1.8 quarts, so you did it right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
According to the Bentley manual, the manual transmission has a capacity of 2.3L of GL4 gear-lube. So, we apparently leave a bit of the old stuff in there at each gear-lube change-out... :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
According to the Bentley manual, the manual transmission has a capacity of 2.3L of GL4 gear-lube. So, we apparently leave a bit of the old stuff in there at each gear-lube change-out... :D
Probably true. I don't think there is a way to totally get it all out. Most people on the forum put just under 2 quarts in the tranny case before it spills out of the fill hole. Also 2.3 Liters sounds a bit high for the 5 speed tranny. BTW Liters are slightly bigger than quarts. 2.3 Liters = 2.43 US Quarts.

Just looked it up the O2J 5 speed transmission fluid capacity is 2.0 Liters or 2.1 quarts.
The O2M 6 Speed has a capacity of 2.3 Liters or 2.45 Quarts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts