VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2003, new beetle, 2.0 avh,5speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi its me again. I got 2003 gls 2.0 5 speed. Went to to hit the clutch on the highway to slow down after that the clutch got stuck to the floorbard so i picked it up with tip of my crocs. Seemed to still have pressure. So i just read some forums and went about my day. Drove to my destination. And there seemed to be a chatter taking off and going from 1st to 2nd. Ended up doing the 1st gear to 5th gear going 25 in 1st ,and both the mileage an hour and the rpms had the same rate of movement. So now i have to drive back home got on the highway everything seemed fine all my gears worked. So im in 5th and went to down shift to 4th and when i went to go back to 5th it didnt want so i gave it a little more force and i just hear a loud pop. The clutch has lost all pressure. No visible leaks. I cant even move in any gear everythings a natural.

I have no idea if its the slave the master or the clutch or if my whole transmission is messed up

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Well, there is the shifter assembly; the linkage at the top of the trans and the clutch hydraluics, the clutch and the trans itself. You might start with the linkage and confirm; that everything is intact, the bottom bushings can break and then, you don't have control of the gears anymore.

You might review this thread; for checking the shifter and linkage.

For the hydraulic aspect of things; you can bleed the system and see, if that helps or it could be the master, then slave aspect of the clutch. On the 5 speed; thankfully, to replace these parts, doesn't require a transmission pull and you can do everything externally. Bleeding, can be a challenge; I used the Phoenix Systems reverse bleeder with excellent results.

Do, some checking over of things; report back or if repairs aren't your thing, drop it off at a VW shop and have them diagnose it for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the shift linkage under the hood and one spring isnt even compressed. The other is. Also looking at my hoses it seems one of my lines for a cooler could possibly be the transmission cooler is bent.
Wood Automotive tire Wall Chair Tints and shades

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Got a photo; of the linkage, on top of the trans?

Here is a video; you might review, which discusses common problems with the shifter linkage:

Review, the above thread; I linked to, we discuss things and how to fix, rebuild the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well before i get to carried away. Would the shift linkage cause the problems im having with the clutch. Its two different problems correct. Could one cause the other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry im just learning how to make forums. This has been a real big complex from dealing with my volkswagen to learning how to make forums on a site ive never used.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
You need to do a process of elimination; clutch, hydraulics and shiftier assembly, linkage, bushings, etc.

Your end cables, have the adjusters intact; one looks like its adjusted different then, the other, you might see if your cables and shifter are adjusted properly, see if any bushings are broken, etc.

If you cannot figure things out or just don't want to deal with it, seek a pro vw shop and have it diagnosed, then go from there and decide what to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i should sat the linkage properly bleed the system and then go from there. Cool I’ll probably will get after this weekend ill have to get a bleeder pump.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Review the videos; to check the linkage is ok and nothing is broken. You could try a adjustment and see, if this restores the shifting ability of the tranmission. If you have problems with the clutch hydraulics; you could try bleeding it, when I have had the pedal go to the floor; it was a hydraulic issue, as the clutch needed to be bled (I was replacing the clutch).

This is the reverse pressure bleeder; that I have found that works well for me, it enables a one person bleeding process without any pumping of the clutch pedal. Quck, easy; job done.

Phoenix Systems (2104-B) V-5 Reverse Brake Bleeder

If all this "passes" and you still can't shift well; you may have a clutch problem and/or tranmission problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last night when we flat towed it to my house speeds at 40 or less i was able to stap 2nd-5th with no clutch. Didnt grind or make any noise thats why i think its more transmission now seeing that bent line.

I wish i would have posted this thread in the “transmission talk” section.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Well, you have your work cut out for you; external things, like linkage and hydraulics are definitely "diy" doable at home, internal trans repairs, may require a pro or just swap out for a good used one.

The 02J, has its own particular failure modes; outlined here:

Check things out; do a step by step process of elimination and report back your findings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the linkage under the hood is broke on the bottom most one. But im going to probably replace the linkange and bleed the system. If im still having issues after that. Im going to have to take it to my dads and with his help i should be able to manage anything this little bug throws at us. We have rebuilt the 6 speed transmission in his mini cooper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay i dont have excess to a jack at my house not yet. Havnt got that far in life so i cant relly see the cables underneath the car i can see all the linkage in the car above the floor. Is there bushing like the ones i pictured in the begging of this forum under the body of the car or is it striaght cable.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There is no transmission cooler on a manual transmission. I think that is an ac line that you showed in your pics at the top.

Your cables look intact, springs being compressed or not is just from whichever gear it’s in. Change the gear, change the spring compression. All of the clutch cables are visible and accessible from the top unless you remove the muffler.

Pop your leather shift boot up and make sure the shifter assembly looks like the one in the dieselgeek video. Make sure nothing is loose or visibly broken.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had the day off due to weather so i decided to look at my car its in more dept and now im not so frustrated or lost thanks. Actually did end up finding a leak at the master cylinder(i believe) the back hose is whats leaking. I dont know if it was a maybe just a slight leak that caused my pedal to not come back up before my gear shifter broke wouldn’t surprise me with as finicky as the hydraulics seem to be. I was pretty hard on the brakes on the tow home. The brake was stiff before i got towed but somewhere along the way the brakes lost pressure too. Should i remove the hose and teflon type it put back on and then bleed the system if not should i replace hose or whole unit
Light Hood Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Good question; a hydraulic cylinder, that fails typically leak but a hose could look as well?

Luk, is typically the oem for VW on clutches and clutch master, slave cylinders; you can search for parts here:

For a new hose; you might try gates:

A good place; to check online is www.fcpeuro.com

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Here are some pages; for service manual info, hydraulic aspect of the clutch: (be sure to click "next"; to see all the pages related to the repair).

master cylinder:

slave cylinder:

clutch hose:

1 - 20 of 178 Posts