VW Beetle Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2003, new beetle, 2.0 avh,5speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Well this just got fun. I really should have check the calibration on my torque wrench first I was just trying to get them to 15ft-lbs. do y’all think I can reuse this gasket after I clean all the rtv off.
Wheel Automotive tire Light Tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment

Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Film camera Audio equipment

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
Broke the top left bolt that holds the rear main on and there’s not enough sticking out to get vise grips on it. I’ve also already had the gasket on once but it looks like it’s still reusable am I safe to reuse the gasket.
Tomorrow I’m gonna try to drift/extract the bolt out while applying heat. It’s not a project unless I break a bolt.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I’ve had luck tapping them out with a drift, hopefully you will also.

It’s the lip of the seal that can be the issue. Knowing my proclivity for hating to throw new parts away I would probably try it, but you are taking a chance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
The extra 90degress(1/4) of a turn sure is a lot of pressure on the flywheel. And also I didn’t have a gab measuring tool so I kinda just hopin for the best.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Did you replace the bolts? New bolts can handle the extra 1/4 or some might be tty or stretch bolts, then you can use thread locker as well. Did the service manual; say to replace the flywheel bolts?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Ok, if they are torque to yield or stretch bolts; they stretch one time and if reused, then the extra 1/4 turn, maynot be as easy to do. I have cases like that; where they break, on retorquing or I will follow the torque spec and compensate a bit higher or some, add some thread locker to the bolts, call it a day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
10-4 i added thread locker. And I was able to get the 1/4 turn it’s just really tight. And I’ve already broke one bolt during this project so I just wanted to double check.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
how easy is it to be off with the gab since I don’t have a gab measuring tool. I reused the seal it looked pretty good only had a tiny little spot on the lip but it sat nicly on the crank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Question just cause I have a dmf does that mean it’s a two part flywheel? Not sure on which way the clutch I would say flat side towards flywheel raised side (springs) towards pressure plate.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Typically, the clutch disk; is marked and indicates which is the correct direction. Did you get any documentation with the clutch/flywheel and did you check the service manual pages, print them out, to refer to?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Well after watching those videos. The reason why I didn’t get new flywheel bolts is cause Fcpeuro did not sell a rep set kit for my car I had to buy a luk flywheel and sachs clutch kit Separately.

121 - 140 of 178 Posts