VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the brake pads of a new beetle 2001 and did everything by the book, bleeding, etc. But i noticed it needed a little brake fluid so I poured some. The problem is that it was making some weird noises as I steped on the clutch pedal before I filled the cylinder to mark, but now that its full, it makes a louder noise that sounds like two peices of metal grinding and I cant make the car move. My best guess is the clutch, because it is still using the one it came with out of the factory. But I want to know if any one has had this problem before. Can any one help me on this one? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
A metal-on-metal sound when the clutch pedal is depressed usually indicates problems with either the throwout bearing or the fingers on the pressure plate. Time to drop the tranny and look inside the bellhousing, methinks...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Now that you've refilled the master cylinder, the next time you change brake pads--you'll have to retract the pistons to do so--the brake fluid reservoir will overflow.

You fluid simply went to the wheel cylinders which are now further out of the caliper to compensate for missing brake pad material. This is NOT a low fluid condition.

·
364 Posts
Sounds more likely he's emptied the brake fluid reservoir when bleeding the brakes causing air to enter the clutch hydraulic lines. This introduces air in the lines and prevents the clutch from disengaging resulting in the metal grinding noise and no gears. The initial post says he "stepped on the clutch pedal before filling the cylinder to mark"----there is the clue.
Solution is to bleed the clutch hydraulics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual Transmission Problems

I made a MISTAKE in the last post. I should have siad that the grinding sound happens when the clutch pedal is Released. And thanks to everyone for the replies.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts