NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 vw beetle convertible. When I bought the car a few months ago the power top was in working condition, and now its not lol. I know that it can be expensive to look into fixing these issues as I am not super mechanically inclined. I've read a couple posts where members are manually opening and closing their power tops, and I want to know what to do, how to do it and if there are any repercussions to doing this. I've been driving this thing most of the summer with the top up and seeing all these other convertibles with their tops down and its making me jealous lol and I honestly don't care if I have to manually open and close the top, as long as I can do the top down i'll be satisfied. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
So, will it open but not close; or something else? Have you scanned for trouble codes with a VW factory level scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech, trouble codes, can pinpoint the cause of the problem. The most common issue, is some of the position sensors will fail and thus, the top gets confused, stops working.

·
Zoomer
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I haven't had it looked at since every mechanic around me doesn't want to touch it or deal with it unless I have money, since both the mechanics I took it took said it would require taking out the backseat and panels to address the issues, which is a lot of money in labor just in itself. I have not gone to a VW dealership for it either and i'm not sure that would be much better. What happened though is the top got stuck down with the back flaps up one day, the motor worked all the way up until it was time to lock the top down then it didn't lock and it did not want to go back up either. I had my dad put the top back up manually by releasing the hydraulic pressure that's in the trunk and pulling the two red strings on either side and the top went back up and we have not fiddled with it since I am scared about the cost of repairing it when I am already trying to get it mechanically straightened out and am reserving funds for that purpose.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Well, you are in the same boat as many; repair costs are expensive and either you pay someone else to do the work or fix it yourself. Investment, in a VW factory level scan too; will enable you, to see how the top is operating, read trouble codes and pinpoint, the cause of the problem.

Here is a video, showing the use of VCDS by Ross Tech; they also, show a way, to bypass the faults causing the top to stop working.

I highly recommend, investing in a scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech ($199), typically, it will pay for itself, in the first diy repair you do. You can finally gain control of your repair process; you will not be beholden, to a VW dealer or repair shop, every time the check engine light comes or you feel, you always have to have other fix things for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts