NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auto dimming rear view mirror on my 01 bug GLS and one of the little map light bulbs burned out. It is a small rice grain sized bulb with plastic twist lock base. Does anyone have an idea what the part number of this bulb is and where to get it or is the dealer the only alternative? I want a stock bulb, not LED.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It sounds like the same that is in the courtesy lights, if so the part number is 1J0 947 171. They are very expensive for what they are, the dealer quoted me €5.00 each.

I fitted mine with a spare 5w dash bulb from my Mitsubishi, just fold out the two tails on the cap less bulb and wrap them around the twist lock base like the original, works great and you can use coloured ones too.

If you want a laugh, 12v Xmas tree will also fit but don't use the twinkly one :)

Below is original bulb and cap, VW Part Number 1J0 947 171

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
like this one LAMP INCAND T1.5 NEO WEDGE 14V - ENW2-EW10/GRA[/QUOTE said:
VWBubba; It looks similar but will it fit? @ 37 cents each I would make it fit :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's perfect!. I think I will go to the auto parts store today and see what I can make work.
Also for the price from digikey, it would be worth it to get a few just to try.
Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, the dealer wants $9.75 for that little bulb. Went to NAPAauto parts and bought a small bulb with wires and soldered it in place of the old one. It worked.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't wanna be the one to say 'told you so' :)

Happy you managed to sort it out, as my granny always said "where there is a will, there's a greedy relative" :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't say really as it also depends on how much light you need. We know now that we have an option to change them other than OEM so I would suggest give it a go. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1stvwparts.com has them for 3.36 each. I can live with that. Steve, your part number is good. Thanks so much for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts