VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
it's great for long distance drives due to the overall shape of the beetle -

but make sure you remove it often - your paint needs to breathe - and it might scratch if you leave it on too long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes...

I have one on my NB. It definitely helps keep the hood ding free, and it sure makes scrubbing the bugs off the Beetle much easier. I've never had a problem with scratches or anything. My Jetta rode around with a mask for 5 years with no problems. I pretty much leave mine on 24/7. But my NB spends about 95% of her time in my garage. I wash the car at least every other week. Just make sure you take the mask off and scrub it thoroughly (including the back) everytime you wash the car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
masks?

I think it depends on the part of the country you live in. Here in Michigan they get full of road salt & sand in the winter & can ruin your paint in just a few days. When I see one on a car I always wonder if they are hiding something, or protecting something or destroying something. However, I do like the look.

·
big poster turned lurker.
2003 Turbo S
9,499 Posts
To be perfectly clear, I do highway driving every day, so I originally bought the bra for protection.
But i grew to really like the way it looked, so i got mirror bras too cuz i really wanted some black mirrors.
But now, with the black grill, it's hidden behind the bra, so at shows and g2g's someitmes i take it off, and sometimes i leave it on, it all depends on where i am and how dorty the car is.

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
I just ordered a vinyl bra last week. I pretty much got it because I'm taking a road trip next month and I'm still scrubbing bugs off from my last trip. So I'm pretty much getting it for protection, though I'll probably keep it on to cover up a hood ding and some front end chips.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
a brar is a must for road trips. if course if the freeway is part of your daily drive, you may think about keeping one on most of the time. taking it off after a rain and for worshing.

next time you see an older bug in the supermarket parking lot, go look at the hood. the chips are amazing.

it's something i learned about in college with my old '73.

yup, a brar is worth the money. i've had good success with perfect fit.

happy buggin all!

·
Registered
64 Posts
pdoel said:
I prefer them for protection, rather than looks.

I was never a big fan of the looks of a bra, but for long road trips, they do work great to keep the hood from chipping.

So, when I decided to get one, I bought a color matched one. Hardly tell it's on!
Do you have a pic of your NB with it on? I looked at the ones on your thread but didn't see any unless it is so well matched I couldn't see it or maybe I'm just blind!

·
Registered
64 Posts
noR said:
I like running w/just the hood part of the bra on. Looks different.
Does just the hood part provide much protection? I have been tempted to get one because I don't think a full set would fit with the cup style body kit my NB has - or maybe I'm wrong - any idea on where I could get one to fit?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts