NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on the other day and I just had the codes read.
Codes 102 and 234 showed up as problem codes.

The mechanic identified for me that one code was for a bad mass air flow sensor and How to test and replace a VNT turbo actuator VW TDI and VNT actuator adjustment identified that the 234 code is for a vane actuator in the turbo unit.

I do have bad glow plugs though I live in the tropics so I have not been in a rush to replace as I just bought the car and it had some other priority repairs first to address. I hear that the vane can stick from carbon of the engine which I am sure can be caused more so by bad plugs that lower the emission standards. I read on the link above that the code could show from a bad vacuum hose and I do hear what sounds like a vacuum leak when the car is running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay quick update. I read the link you posted which was great. Thank you so much. I noticed it mentioned the much over looked vacuum hose to the airbox. This hose was disconnected.

Would this cause the issues and if it is now fixed will the code reset itself? The light is still on though some sites on the net say the code will need to be clear with an obd II scanner.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This link is helpful in how to clean the MAS and reset the check engine light with out an OBD II computer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem fixed itself once the vacuum hose was connected. For now at least. I will update if the light comes back on. I did not have to clean the MAS sensor though picked up some contact cleaner just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts