NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got ODB codes that the Mass airflow sensor was bad. I replaced it, and the symptoms went away (no shuddering, stalling, difficulty starting, etc.) I cleared the check engine light, and started driving the car. The light came back on. So, here's my question; if the sensor is good, and I'm still getting the codes/symptoms of it being bad, what else could it be? Bad wiring, or some other connected component?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is a common fault that people do not pay close enough attention to what the DTC actually state. They see the sensor name in the DTC description and jump to the conclusion the sensor is bad.

First you need to post the actual code(s) you are getting from your car along with the Freeze Frame data.

Also if you purchased a cheap ebay or local parts store MAF, many times they do not work properly with these cars.

Keep your original MAF and suggest you put is back on for now.

One very big problem is vacuum leaks, intake and/or crankcase air leaks sometimes trigger some MAF related codes as the MAF is bypassed and then reads or displays too low of an airflow reading.

Again, I would put the original MAF back on, read the current codes and Freeze Frame info and post if back for review and comment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, it wasn't just me "jumping to conclusions". I took it to Flow Volkswagen and had their techs look it over as well; after an hour going over it, he confirmed the same diagnosis, based on the codes in the computer and the way the car was performing (hard to start, stalling on start, hiccuping when running, etc.) I changed the part, and all the symptoms went away; runs as smooth as you could want. Still getting the CE light, and same codes.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dealerships techs are nothing but glorified parts replacers most of the time.

What are the exact code(s) you are getting?

Provide the Freeze Frame data.

Without this, nobody can give you any assistance.

Do you have the original MAF? If so, hold onto it.

What are the fuel trims looking like at idle?

BTW, hard starting and stalling are not typically MAF related performance issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same problem

I had the exact same problem, I replaced the MAF sensor all was well for a short time then the engine light came back on. diagnostic gave same result. instead of replacing it myself. I took it into the foreign car repair guy that does most all of the work on our cars and he had a chuckle. Turns out that the computer did not recognize the aftermarket MAF that I installed, so gives the error. Replaced it with an OEM part and all was well. So many things about VW....................:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: M.A.F. Sensor troubles

I have a 2006 2.5 gas and ha e been struggling withe the dreaded M.A.F. Codes.
I finally went to Auto Zone for a replacement and upon removing the Air Duct Hose from the Throttle body I noticed that one of the smaller Vacuum lines was not attached.

When I tried to attach it, the connector that holds it onto the main Air Duct hose would not lock on. Using the ubiquitous Duct Tape I secured it as best as possible.

I cleared the codes , test drove the car and found that not only did the C.E.L. not come back, but acceleration had improved immensely and it takes less time to warm-up on a cold morning.

So what I thought was a M.A.F. problem turned out to be a disconected Vacuum Hose issue.
So now, if the code comes back in I know to check and see if the hose has become disconnected again.

Hope this helps,

Bugout. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts