VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Beetle Convertible 1.8T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 2015 Convertible Beetle 1.8T and went thru a quart of oil on a one way drive from ATL to Chattanooga.

Where to start on the diagnosis? No check engine light. The oil light has come on intermittently since we purchased it in July…that was probably the first indicator. This is first time we’ve driven highway with it.

my initial theory would be shot piston rings. It has about 95k miles so a little surprised we’re having issues this quickly. Of course, unknown how it was really cared for previously…or not cared for as it may turn out. :(

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I apparently posted in the wrong forum…sorry about that. Not sure how to move.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The 2.0T is known, for this issue; carbon fouled rings, seem to be the common issue with these, I'm assuming the later model 1.8T being direct injection, could also have similar issues?

Piston rings and fault pcv valve assembly; seem to be the common reasons for this issue, the pcv is cheaper then the rings and so, that could be a inexpensive fix, to try first? At your mileage, I would assume; carbon built up in the intake manifold and the rings, would seem like a likely problem?

You might discuss the issue with your local VW dealer and VW of America; see, if this is a common problem and if VW has a tech bulletins or recalls on the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the video. Very informative and appears to possibly be directly on point. Looking over his channel now. Also thx for this link. Will check that out next! We post back with some findings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts