VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Beetle Convertible 1.8T
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this 2015 Convertible Beetle 1.8T and went thru a quart of oil on a one way drive from ATL to Chattanooga.

Where to start on the diagnosis? No check engine light. The oil light has come on intermittently since we purchased it in July…that was probably the first indicator. This is first time we’ve driven highway with it.

my initial theory would be shot piston rings. It has about 95k miles so a little surprised we’re having issues this quickly. Of course, unknown how it was really cared for previously…or not cared for as it may turn out. :(

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 Beetle Convertible 1.8T
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like the piston soak initially helped...then back to the same massive consumption...again. oil level light inexplicably came on. 2 quarts low have just previously checking level before driving from Chattanooga to Knoxville...not a far drive.

Redoing compression / leak down test in a couple of weekends.

Still convinced this a piston ring issue.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
The 2.0T's, have a history; of the rings getting carbon'd up and causing blow-by. VW and Audi, seems to have revised the rings, piston designs; to try to address the issue but even then, the carbon build up, can cause oil consumption. I don't know, if the 1.8T is exactly the same but seeing how the direct injection carbon issues, is plaguing VW and Audi's for quite awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

A former Audi Master Tech; has a great youtube channel, where he goes over the common oil consumption issues of the 2.0T and what it takes, to make these engines reliable, finally fix the oil consumption, other reliablity problems. He is convinced the engines are good and once, the weaknesses are resolved, you should have a solid engine.

"NAPTOWNTUNER"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.