VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Sorry about the vague title but I don't know what to call this part. Last year I replaced the headliner in my 99 NB & now the strip of fabric between it and the door gasket is hanging down. I want to glue it back but it takes considerable pressure to keep it in place, and I'm not sure how to hold it there while the glue dries. :confused: Any ideas?

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
If this is the gray strip like on my door opening weatherstrip you can remove it or do like I am planning to do. I am going to use a thin layer of either clear or black silicone to hold it in place. It is thick enough and sticky enough to hold it in place. You could also use weatherstrip adhesive and take tape to try to hold it in place.That's why I will use the silicone though.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This comes in 2 colors, Black and Yellow. Most Auto Parts stores only carry the Yellow.

Amazon.com: 3M 08008 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Tube - 5 oz.: Automotive

Just be careful if the material you are going to glue is like fabric because if the material is porous the adhesive may seep through the material.

This is another good product, but you have to be careful about overspray in a situation like yours - Amazon.com: 3M 21210 Super 77 Spray Adhesive: Automotive

Super 77 is often carried at Auto Parts and Arts & Crafts stores.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a bottle of the spray on glue that I used when I replaced my headliner. My question is will any of these products hold the material in place by itself? It takes a lot of force to keep it in place because of all the tension it is under. I'm not sure if tape would do the trick either.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe a better plan is to pull off one end? The front end is behind the dash but the back end is easy to get to at the rear of the door. Then it wouldn't be under such tension while I am gluing it back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts