NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I have an 02 with a blown 2.0. I have sourced a new engine and am ready to do the swap out. The 2.0 will be replaced with another as to keep it as simple as possible. My question is what consumables are typically needed and what do you suggest replacing (gaskets, boots, etc)

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Like anything, it depends on the milage and condition of the parts you remove. Which transmission does your 02 New Beetle have and how much milage is on the car? Much depends on how much money you are willing to spend and how long, you want things to last. I can think, of a long list of things; that a 17 year old New Beetle, typically needs, after all those years and when the engine is taken out, it is a much easier to replace them! Tell us more, about your car and we can go from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, sorry for the lack of details. Here is the story.

A buddy of mine acquired this beetle a while back and did some maintenance items to make it roadworthy. He did the hubs, brakes, and the usual things for maintenance.

He was driving home from work and the engine started knocking hard and loosing power. By the time he got home, the engine had shrapnel in it. He parked it and left it for a while. We think the oil pump failed.

I purchased it from him for a C-note and a bottle of whiskey. We almost drove it onto the trailer and it gave up the ghost and had to winch it the rest of the way up. It is a 2002 GLS that has 133k miles on the vehicle and has the auto trans.

I have sourced another engine that has 99k miles on it. I have new radiator hoses, thermostat, timing belt kit, water pump, oil pump, and dipstick tube w/ dipstick.

I plan on replacing the engine, driving it for a while to shake out the bugs and other things, and then do a Smyth Ute conversion.

I hope this explains it better and I apologize for the ambiguity of my first post.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
A car 17 years old and a unknown part, like a used engine; needs to be inspected, tested and evaluated with a critical eye. Every bad, worn or damaged part; should, ideally be replaced and that way, you don't have to replace it later, costing you more money, in the long run. I would run a compression test if the used motor and possibly pull the oil pan; check for sludge, clean the pickup tube , check the oil pump chain, buffers/tensioner fir wear and the bearings. Do your best to evaluate the health of the engine; replace gaskets, seals (like the rear main; oil cooler seal); anything that is prone to leakage and easy to repair/replace, when not in the vehicle.

Which transmission; do you have (the 02J 5 speed manual ir 01M 4 speed auto)? Thise may need some attention; when removed as well.

The key is to replace things, you won't have to address later and get the car, in the best condition, to establish a long term reliable car to drive and enjoy.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I have an automatic in it. What issues are notorious on the auto trans?

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
Do you have the 4 speed 01m or the six speed 09G? Sticking solenoids in the valve body, failed external sensors, bad wiring harness (internal ribbon or external wires); are the most common problems. One should start with a scan with a vw specific scan tool; like the vcds by ross tech and see if there are any trouble codes, which would could help narrow down the cause of the problem. More detailed testing, can be done; by looking at live data, to see the various sensors and parts of the trans are working correctly. Replacement sensors, wiring harnesses and installation of a rebuilt valve body; has fixed many members shifting problems but sometimes, a full disassembly, inspection for damaged/worn parts, then a full rebuild of the transmission is needed.Give is some more info and we can go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
billymade
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing