NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the step by step guide on how to do a auto tranny flush myself. Man, that is some crazy labor for a flush. This thing is sealed for life(life=warranty period)How long can the tranny run semi-smoothly without getting flushed, or the fluid changed? I mean, my 03 Beetle is at almost 50k and I would like to see it hit at least 125k. Is this mangable without a crazy DIY procedure? If I must, I will bust a flush myself(I have done enough on old school cars). But that is a very long procedure.

Thank you all. . . . .

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
In a lot of cases, the auto transmission will last 100K miles without too much problem if not abused. Just remember that it relies on the fluid for lubrication, and power transfer. Fresh fluid every 50K miles or so should prolong the useful life of the transmission by removing the contaminates.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just what I figured also. This car is driven by the "wife" in the not so best of conditions eather. So I will have to find a way to maintain everything, even the transmission. . .:(

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I had a Cabriolet last over 400,000 miles without a single fluid flush on the auto tranny... then again I wanted it to die so I could justify the exspense of doing a manual tranny swap.

I have seen too many of VW's slush boxes seize up around 100,000 miles from lack of maintenance to ever do that kind of foolishness again.

I think you are quite correct in your thinking. I would definetly be changing out that fluid.. A.S.A.P.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, from what it sounds like though I will be doing the flush myself. I looked carefully through the step by step on this site and it seems resonable.

1.)I will have to get a form of a Vag-Com

2.)I will have to have all the parts handy(filter, gasket,pretty much the whole kit they sell on ecstuning)

3.)Last but not least make sure you do it on a level surface and be very precise with the OEM fluid ammount when you are putting it back in.

? ? ?But I still don't see a reason why I can not pump the fluid back in through the drain tube instead of going in through the breather? ? ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts