NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered this, there really wasn't any good reviews from VW/Audi owners, so I decided to make my own. I've had this scan tool since June and it cost $40.16 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon. There was mixed reviews, but I decided to go ahead and get it. It came well packaged and arrived quickly. I was surprised by how big it is! I was expecting a really small scanner, but this one is a nice size. The tool itself feels pretty good. Not too cheap feeling (I also have a generic OBDII scanner from Walmart that coated $100 and this feels nicer). The OBD cord feels pretty cheap though. In the box was the tool, the OBD cord, a USB cord, User manual, and a carrying case. I plugged the scanner in and had no problems with it powering up or connecting to my car (1999 2.0 New Beetle) or my aunt's (2002 1.9 TDI New Beetle). I connected to my Airbag module first to check the codes and clear them if it was safe to do so. I have yet to get a definition for any code I've gotten so far on the OBDII or VAG functions. I researched the codes and they were caused by a loose plug under the seat so I made sure the connection was good and then cleared the codes. No issues whatsoever and my airbag light is out and has since then. The scanner also can give you the ECU information for any module that your connected to. On the Engine module you can also get a "Readiness Test" that I assume is for emission tests. The scanner also has a generic OBDII function for other cars. I attempted to connect to a non VW vehicle though to try it. It does connect to my VW with the generic OBDII function though. Unfortunately, the scanner is that Autel no longer sells this product and no longer supports it, meaning no software updates. This tool has saved me well over $300 from a dealership already! I have yet to have any issues with it and highly recommend it for any earlier 2000's VW/Audi owner! Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them as soon as I can!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts