NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Should the mechanic do anything to make this right?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my daughters 2002 Beetle 1.9 TDI to a local shop to have the A/C compressor replaced, there was a check engine light on that a dealership had said was due to a bad glow plug. I asked my mechanic if he could just change them out with the A/C repair and he said sure no problem. After a week at the shop I called to see what was taking so long, he said he didn't want to ruin my weekend but one of glow plugs broke off. He said he felt like he could get it out, fast forward 4 more weeks and after drilling it out and trying numerous things he gave up and wants me to pay $1100 for the head to be pulled so he can fix it.

He admitted that after installing the new compressor he tried to "quickly" change out the GP which seems to indicate to me he didn't pre-treat with penetrating oil or use a torque wrench like I have seen recommended online. My daughter just turned 16 this is her first car bought with her own money she really cant afford the A/C repair let alone an additional $1100 bill and I don't see putting an additional $1100 into a $3500 car on top of the $800 for the A/C.

Should the shop take any responsibility for the damage? This is the first diesel I have ever owned and I had no idea this was a likely problem and he didn't warm me. He said everyone of them came out hard yet he continued without calling me and broke the third one. Should he have called to warn me before continuing?

Any advice you could give will be greatly appreciated..... at a lose for what to do next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is a tough one. The car will run and start on 3 glow plugs. It will be a bit smokey and rough on initial start up in the morning but will smooth out and run just fine. Depending on where you are the glow plugs are only needed when the temperature goes below about 40F.
Yes it will leave a check engine light on her dash, again depending on where you are that may be a state inspection fail.

However it sounds like the mechanic has already ruined the glow plug entirely by trying to drill it out. If the gp is intact enough to seal the hole then you can run it as described above, if the gp has been drilled and entirely ruined then and leaking, the head will need to come off.

Because this is the mechanics fault you might try and dicker the price down. Pulling the head is not that tough a job on these 1.9’s. If the head is pulled make sure he puts the correct head gasket back in . There are 1,2 and 3 hole gaskets, determined by the little tab on the front of the engine where a piece of the head gasket sticks out. Showing 1,2 or 3 holes, with the vast majority being 2 hole gaskets.

A new head gasket set is about $60 and the gasket about $30. If you enlarge the pic you can see on the left side the tab with an oval hole at the bottom of the tab and two round holes at the top. You must select from the little drop down arrow which you want.

Here are a couple of broken glow plug threads to read.

So your mechanic will have about $100 plus his time in this head removal and reinstall.

The head gasket torque sequence is starting in the center and working in an alternating fashion toward the ends. Hand tighten all bolts, then torque all bolts 30ft lbs, then all bolts to 44 ft lbs and then all bolts a 1/4 turn and then again all bolts another 1/4 turn, that’s what I have written in my notes. Have your mechanic double check those figures.

If you’re interested in an exact write up then myturbodiesel.com has one along with a video also I think, you must register to access the content.

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
193 Posts
He broke it he fixes it. The shop has to swallow the cost of their mistakes it’s simple as that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
As I think about this further, if the head is pulled the timing belt will need to come off and of course the engine will need to be set at TDC with the proper tools. Please tell me this guy knows how do do that and has the correct tools. If he starts putting paint marks on the belt and cam your best bet is to get the car away from him as quickly as possible before he kills the engine. It’s a great time to do the timing belt and ALL related components , 3 rollers, water pump, tensioner and of course the belt itself. Along with several single use bolts known as TTY bolts. Torque to yield. The head bolts and several motor mount bolts are tty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts