NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. My check electrical engine light is on. I don’t know exactly what codes I have but the mechanic told me that the Lean idle is wrong, the oxygen sensor has no activity and the MAS has no signal. But, he says he cannot work on my car because I have “modified the air flow in your car” and therefore he cannot work on the car to figure out what is wrong with it.

Has anyone else had this problem? He is telling me that because I have a P flow intake system with a K and N filter that he cannot work on my car. I have had this filter set up on my car for, oh say 40,000 miles and the thing just coded. The MAS was replaced under warrantee in July of 04 and they didn’t say a word about my filter.

I could really use some help. I need the car up and running right so that I can go on my Christmas trip.

Thank you all for helping me.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
is the car running fine now? i think autozone will scan your car for free. get the codes its throwing and lets see what is up with the wee one.

Oh, and did you take it to the dealer? is that who is telling you they cant work on it?

could be mass air and your 02 sensor poofed, they do that and as far as the k & n goofing that up they are high. it could goof the mass air tho if there was too much oil on it when you installed it, mass air flow sensors are pretty touchy. you could try cleaning it or replacing it, replacing is a very very easy thing to do and cleaning is some denatured alcohol and a gentle hand.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
O2 and MAF with no signal seems odd... have you checked fuses?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Big Bulllllshhhiaaat on the dealer...Unless their anal! I've had my K&N on for over 30K...and the've worked on mine with no problems...Of course I've never popped a code or had the MAF or O2 sensor go out either. With no signal? i'd check your connections under the hood first, then check fuses...worse thing you'd have to do is replace the MAF, O2 sensor...etc. Parts at http://www.ecstuning.com..and it's an easy fix for you to do yourself. Could be your MAF is fubar, which will throw the o2 sensor off...Save yourself some $$$ and order the parts and do it yourself....When was the last time you cleaned the K$N Filter? Oiled it?? could be an airflow restriction....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since we don't have an Autozone here that I know of, I had a friend of mine take it and get the codes read at the school he goes to.

The codes that it has is

P0102 and P1128

It has been about 12,000 miles since I have cleaned my filter. I was as careful as I could be to not over oil it but I guess that it could have happened.

I'll have a look at the fuses and look for a loose wire too.

The mechanic I took it to was not a dealer. He is supposed to be very good with german cars. I called the local dealer and they said they could look at it but not until Wednesday.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The second code is usually a bad vacuum hose.
You might get the MAF replaced under the extended warranty for that part.
If you had to, you could put back the stock air box for a couple of days. Most likely one is the one going around back to the combi valve.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
There is a 100% chance that one (if not more) of your stock piece of crab cloth covered vacuum lines are leaking.

That is an ultra easy fix that you can accomplish with some small zipties, a pair of scissors and a wire snip.

Snip off the old clamps and remove the vacuum lines (one at a time) and replace it with rubber hose from your local auto parts store.

The other code is most likely your MAF.. that is under warranty and VW should replace that for free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did have one vacuum hose that was not looking all that good, and I have replaced it but haven't reset the codes yet. I'll look at the rest of them or just replace them all. As for the getting VW to replace it under warrantee, won't happen because they did that last summer. They said I was out of the extended warrantee by both miles and by time. I’m going to see the local dealer here (just moved to this area) and see what they say I think. Can't hurt to have them look. I don’t' have a garage and the current temp outside is 10.1 degrees F. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
With all the snow you guys just had out there? Time to build yourself and igloo garage...:rolleyes: Or make friend reallllly quick with a NB owner in your area that has a garage...Comes in handy when you have to change out springs and shocks ...

If you have a 2.0, I remember there only being 3 Vac lines...But the PITA one that screwed me up was the one right there near the Alt, on top of the manifold on the left as you look at the engine... Make sure that one is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got it fixed. The Mass air was bad. Wasn't too expensive. And I think this new dealership will be good to work with. I told them I like to work on my own car and they service mechanic told me that he would be willing to work with me in the future if I have questions. Told me to just call them and he would help me out if I had problems working on the car myself. It was one of the better interactions that I have had with a service department.

Now the next project...rear brakes.

Thankfully I have done them before.

I just want to thank EVERYONE for all your help and advice. Wish it was warmer out and I had a garage to work out of the cold. Todays high was 16 and tomorrow will be 17 or so.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Excuse me for being extremely direct but this so-called mechanic that told "he cannot work on your car because you have modified the air flow in your car and therefore he cannot work on the car to figure out what is wrong with it" well, this person is an idiot and there are far too many of these characters out there calling themselves mechanics, you are better off that he didn't touch your car.

The ECU will adapt to a large range of variations or parts failures, however in some case like this one, other areas can be negatively compromised resulting in DTC's and a CEL.

Figuring out this problem would not at all be hampered by the existance of an upgraded air intake system, that's simply just a load of crap.

I'm glad that you were able to find someone competant to resolve the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts