NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a cosmetic refit inside and out!
Touched/re-did all abs plastic (except dash...perfectly awesome) as was crumbling under the stress of sun and tears.
*covered the ‘bolsters’ with a PVA type fabric that somewhat matched the dash.
*reformed the card that housed the old broken plastic door pulls with fiberglass and actually decopauged because I couldn’t get fabric to stick b/c contours (will really-do this eventually). Chose a rubber/strapfor my pulls that matched the fabric,dash, and steering wheel Originally made for SUP (standup paddle board) carry handles.
  • I chose to spray paint all the rest of plastic with a texturized rustoleum. It’s held up well. The texture and sparkle hid imperfections and stood up to touch and use and not showing scratches etc...
  • I thought about changing the woven pockets on door, but ended up reinforcing from behind with gorilla glue and more threading and spray painted to original webbing a contrasting color , seems strong again
  • any cracks in abs I either hot welded it back together or epoxied or both with caulk or more glue. I’ll include a behind the scenes pic of the ‘door card’ it ain’t pretty.
    249414
    4ED54896-ED6B-4788-8AEC-72FB2DF8FC30.jpeg DCE144C5-ACC4-4984-8254-7C323107D580.jpeg
when my local junkyard had a sale all seats $15 each I jumped on it! $65 for spanking new looking leather seats buckets and bench!! The yard here is clovered in ankle deep sand and thank the gods my Dad went with me to shlup my booty (pirate treasures) back to the truck. It whooped us both.
*my bug ‘98 the new set was from an ‘06 they fit, but the wiring didn’t just clip back together easily, they added airbags or changed wiring on later models. While seats were out I tried washing carpets in vehicle on bad advise from YouTube. Ended up pulling carpet out, washing it out of car, re-reinforced a vapor barrier with butyl-tape for roofing.
249415

D122E7CB-5F01-40A8-972E-C8D4857A64D2.jpeg
this is my center console. I poached a sliding cup holder (the later model fix for a stupid cup height on NBs) used a hot knife to cut the back of console where only one small cup resided, to mount the ‘new-to-Bugsta’ double-cupholder where normal sized drinks...even big gulps! Instead of dangerously holding between legs while I drove the 5-speed. Yeah!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
249417


[ more details re:center console mods ]
Here’s my headliner update. Used fleece as new fabric. Removed old decomposing padding and falling fabric (gross). Was having issue getting it to stick well on most contoured parts. I cut a hole and added the drop down console for sunglasses, it gave me room to manipulate fabric and less area to need to stick fabric to.
*note the black upholstery fabric I used on bolsters this was the most challenging to lay flat, so decided to hide it with cardboard covered in fabric and ‘bolted’ on with torque screws I painted black for function and decorative purposes. *
249418

Lastly for now I’ll show off my new shoes!! The original silver wheels were gouged from a failed attempt to seat a tire (boo) and 20 years of dings and scrapes. I sanded flat as I could and dremeled the outer edge that was gouged then painted multiple coated of high performance rustoleum black gloss much sanding and a final cut and buff ...eventually I’ll 2K coat them after cures enough to paint w/o messing up black. Which has been an issue, as it’s winter and dry warmer days are not continuous. Thanks for reading!
Much more accomplished, but done sharing for now XO!!!
249419
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top