NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Button
She has a story
We originally bought her for a friend to buy from us a bit at a time.
It was from a college mom who let her daughter use it and it was a good college girl car until she graduated
And we bought it for our son's roommate to buy from us as she had little money and had just gotten her licence in our 2006 conv, Jubilance

It's a 2001 Blue hard top that had about 120K on it and ran very well
It had all the maintenance papers and was well kept

Perfect for a young woman's first car.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everything was going well and it was running good. She loved the car

At some point, the handle for the hood broke and she was unable to open the hood
We went to visit her and it was Sunday evening and after 9:00 when we found out and all the parts stores were closed
But we had to get something to open the latch and she was not very mechanical

So, I went to Wal-Mart and found shoelaces and buttons to rig something up until the part came in
So this is what we came up with and it also became her name, Button

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the latch handle came in we replaced it a while later.
Fast forward a few months and her oil light came on
She drove a mile or two home and she got the oil pump replaced
This was a Friday. The next Monday, she hit a rock in the road and it broke the plastic frame around the radiator and punchered the oil pan
The insurance totaled it out and we received a check for the car and the last repair the few days before
When asked, the insurance company would take $300 for us to buy back the car
so, we did. It's now our $300 Beetle

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The repair had to be done in a certified rebuilder and the paperwork took 2 1/2 months to complete it with a rebuilt title so it would be legal to drive.

It was nice and affordable transportation. Much better mileage than the other vehicles I drove

In the summer of 2019, my dad got sick and went to the hospital
He was in and out until November when he died at the age of 87.

Buttons was driven three times back a forth 1000 miles during this time and lastly in late Nov for his funeral

She got to see snow and rough weather conditions for the first time

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, now she's at home with us.
A new water pump, timing belt and oil cooler was recently replaced on her and she has another oil pump to be installed
It is showing a low pressure indicator when idling and when it is very hot outside.
I'm hoping all the time running with no oil when it was totaled and just before hasn't damaged the engine too much
But we'll see if it has

1 - 5 of 5 Posts