VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My name is Kaitie and this is my new little bug Colby!
It's been raining, so this is the only picture I have of him. He's been very cold outside :(
He's a 2008 Beetle S, 5 speed, and runs like a little champ.
We are from NY and I am excited to meet people on here!

I do have a couple questions, though. My cruise hasn't been really working, and I'm not sure why.
Also, the guy said that it would need a timing belt and water pump change at 100k, which I know is common in the beetles, but I thought the 2008 had a timing chain and didn't need changed.
So excited to be a new buggie owner and meet new people!!

:thewave:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Welcome to the family! :banana:

Couple questions for you, you say the cruse hasn't really been working. Do you mean it works sometimes but not others or not at all? If not at all start by checking fuses. If that isn't it then it's possible it could be something like the stalk having a bad switch. I assume your turn signals are working fine?

Now for the timing, the 2.5 has does have a timing change. I don't see anything on the maintenance schedule for the chain only the belts. Some people still like to change chains out after so many miles since the chain as well as the tensioner can wear out over time. ECS Tuning has a kit for a little over $500 with all the parts, just add labor :bigthumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a warranty so I should be good on the belt! :D Should I do the pump as well?
And the cruise does not work at all. I turn it on and press set and then it just slows down. I did look in the manual, but wasn't sure what fuse it was but since it's raining and I don't have a garage right now I couldn't check the fuses outside :( Turn signals are working fine.
And thanks! First VW and I am so excited!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I'm not sure if the 2.5 has the same plastic water pump as the 2.0 but I believe it does. If so it probably wouldn't hurt to change it out since I'm sure it's never been done. I would definitely be cheaper than having it bust into a million pieces and leave you at the side of the road waiting for a tow truck :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Just thought of something else, since you have a 5 speed, it might be the clutch switch keeping the cruse from coming on. I had started to think brake light switch but that was earlier years that had that problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
If it's the clutch switch it'll have to be replaced. It's a fairly cheap switch that gets pushed in when you push in the clutch. Occasionally they get bent or messed u pin other ways and just need to be replaced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2008 New Beetle Maintenance

Welcome
I also have a 2008 New Beetle Convertible, it has right now 91000 miles and the 2008 to 2010 models have the improved timing chain guide, so they are suppose to last the lifetime of the engine around 150K miles.
I believe in maintaining cars per manufacturers intervals.
The coolant should be changed before 100K miles to protect the cooling system and water pump.
Spark plugs need to be changed every 40K miles and brake fluid every 2 years. So what you probably need is
1. Coolant exchange
2. Spark plug renewal
3. Brake fluid exchange
No need to worry about timing chains or water pumps.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
No need to worry about timing chains or water pumps.
There's many on here who would disagree, especially on the water pump. It's far too common for the plastic impeller to shatter and cause the engine to overheat. Just because VW doesn't say it should be replaced x number of miles doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. VW also says not to replace the fluid in the auto transmission but a great number do because of it's unreliability at higher miles with old fluid.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Well, helloooooo, Kaitie!
Thought I'd join the Colby party and follow his adventures :D

Hope you get a chance and snap some more pics of your baby. from the basic, to a full-on photoshoot, we love the pics.

Happy to have you here
-Al :wave2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, helloooooo, Kaitie!
Thought I'd join the Colby party and follow his adventures :D

Hope you get a chance and snap some more pics of your baby. from the basic, to a full-on photoshoot, we love the pics.

Happy to have you here
-Al :wave2:
ill get more posted soon!

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
ill get more posted soon!
Make sure you start a photo thread for your beetle. That way you'll have a nice photo history of all of your pictures; and it will be easier for folk- they'll have one place to view your beetle, rather than fishing through multiple threads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure you start a photo thread for your beetle. That way you'll have a nice photo history of all of your pictures; and it will be easier for folk- they'll have one place to view your beetle, rather than fishing through multiple threads.
If you look in the Gallery I have one started already under Colby.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts