VW Beetle Forum banner

Meet Remy, my '08 2.5S

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Beetel 
#1 ·
Hey all, meet Remy!
She is an '08 2.5S coupe with 125k miles.

Externally she is in pretty decent condition. There are several scuffs on the front bumper and some scuffs on the rockers but otherwise nothing major.
As far as external objects that are broken; her 3rd brake light doesn't work and is popping out. And her reverse lights are full of moisture. The antenna was busted by a previous owner but I'm considering a replacement or getting a plug of some sort made to give it a flush look (as I don't use the am/fm radio anyway).

I did a detail on the interior this afternoon and got her seats and side panels/ door panels cleaned up along with the dash and center console.
As far as interior damage is concerned; the headliner is falling down in the middle but is still glued on the sides. The rear side panels have cracks above the arm rest bits and the center console lid hinge is busted and keeps falling out. The floor mats are also not the original and are generic ones that don't quite fit right.

The driver seat has a rip and the vinyl on the door cards is starting to peel off as well. Otherwise there is no other damage and as far as I'm aware everything functions as it should.

Thanks for taking a look! Let me know what y'all think or if you have any questions!
-Tyler

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Org! ?

Reactions: Tyler
#3 ·
Gave her a wash and wax today. Cleaned all the glass too. I have to say I really am loving this car.

Did the spark plugs today and air filter yesterday. Oil change this weekend. She's running like a champ. Accelerates and shifts like butter.
Cheers

#4 ·

Quick before and after on the driver's side door card. I like the look a lot but the existing damage to the card when I took it off really bummed me out and made the reupholstered card not as sturdy on the door as I would have liked.
Passenger side to come soon.

#5 ·
For a solution, to reinforce the damaged arm rest insert area; a company offers a plastic insert by Coverlay. These are plastic covers and screw over the top of the stock part; this would kill two birds with one stone, reinforce the armrest material, provide a easy replacement as well, a quick repair solution.

#6 ·
as to the door handle, they end up cracking and pull out of the door panel. I found a steel insert, that retains the stock look; they are available in stock colors and are bullet proof, you will never have a issue again! These metal door handle repair parts; insert, just like the covers do and create, are very solid connection, feel to the handle that is better then the stock plastic, which weakens, cracks and fails over time. The part is metal and the bolts, secure the handle to the metal door portion, very secure and solid. The door panels become very brittle and fragile over time; after this install, the handles will never break again. Done! :)

There are many cheaper billet aluminum types for sale online; I did not like them as they seem to be less comfortable, do not look original and these, do NOT require removal of the stock handle, from the door panel and retain the comfortable stock part, that your hand grabs. The others are a thin, piece of metal and do no retain the rounded portion; this does and looks great as well.

Best prices for a pair or just one on amazon or ebay:

MotorKing DS513 Metal Reinforced Left & Right Door Handle Repair Kit

#9 ·
Replaced the factory headunit tonight with a jvc Bluetooth one and a metra install kit.

The headunit works great but feels fairly cheapo compared to the Sony one I have in my scion that only cost $30 more but I wasn't willing to shell out $100 on this one. One super cool thing is that the color happened to match the factory lights so I will take that as a win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.