NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Memoirs of a "New-Beetle" Owner

Note: To all new comers ... the following was written in 2007!

I have always wanted a new beetle. Ever since the first one came out I wanted one, but I had to settle for the old ones so in 1998 I bought a 1975 VW Bug; originally issued as fuel injection, but changed by the time I got it. This bug is a blast! It carried me everywhere, and I still own it, but it is back home (the islands) and I am here at school (USA).

I had an old 1992 2door hatchback Mitsubishi mirage that I was fooling around with, I was convinced it would die any minute, so I decided to test my luck and try to get the car of my dreams. Being a student, with a wife who is also a student, I thought it was impossible, but I went to a dealer anyway.... 1 day later, we drove out with a cyber green 2002 VW Beetle GLS 2.0 (manual with 79,000 miles, sun roof, leather seats, fog lights, 6 CD changer and a whole lot of love) :crazy:

I love this car so much already.. only one slight problem that creaking in the front. Being a little mechanically inclined, I know it is not something big, and I know that it is a problem LOTS of VW owners (not just of beetles) face. It seems to be a problem of the Platform that beetles share with Golfs and some other cars. I have also realized that there is not just one thing that causes it. In some, it is the sway bar bushings... changed mine.. still creaks.. In some it is the control arm bushings... thats my next project and I will let you all know how that goes. In some its spacers on the springs, and the list goes on. Suffice to say, it you can DIY (do it yourself) its probably relatively inexpensive to do... If you have to take it to a dealer, or mechanic, be prepared to go to the bank! That's my experience... so.. I will do it myself even if I have to borrow tools.. and the manual costs only $80, a worthy investment.

Regardless of what hiccups this car will give me... and I expect them... I will still be a happy owner. I don't intend to fool around with the engine to get more power or things like that. I only intend to do my regular servicing... myself... and keep it as stock as possible. I think that if something isn't broke.. don't try to fix it. That is the cause of 90% of car problems (in my opinion).

Till next time....

ps.. (as soon as I figure out how to post pics I will)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,725 Posts
You have the right idea! :clap: Our cars are quirky, fun, lovable, did I say fun? ;) They need to be maintained. :p

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Congratulations to you! :party:
 

·
#1 Auntie
Joined
·
4,549 Posts
Congrats on finally getting your dream car! I think we can all remember the day when that happened to us! :)

Welcome to the Org! You'll find plenty of useful info and friendly people here! :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,725 Posts
Looks to be in great shape! :clap:


Where are you located? :)
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dnyed said:
Looks to be in great shape! :clap:


Where are you located? :)
Florida
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Wish List

These are 2 things I want to get in the near future.

1. VW / AUDI Auto Scanner OBD II 2 OBD2 OBDII - U280 (about $80)

2. Volkswagen New Beetle: Service Manual : 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 1.8L Turbo, 1.9L Tdi Diesel, 2.0L Gasoline (Volkswagen)(About $70)

With these I should be able to conquer the WORLD!!

Just kidding.. but.. I think every DIY should make the sacrifice and get them... (I am strapped for cash now.. but.. I will try to get them as soon as we figure out how we can do it without starving.. )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
I have a Chilton repair manual you can have for free if you paypal me the $3 to mail it to you.

Welcome, by the way! You're the type of beetle owner i like -- one that expects problems and will deal with them as they come. I had a CG 02, I loved it 2.0L GL manual windows and no sunroof. I took Charlie back to the adoption agency and then got a 2006 TDI. I never thought I'd see Charlie go, nor did I expect my TDI to be a Jetta. Things happen. I also have a second-run 1998 Black New Beetle awaiting a 1999 2.0L engine to replace it's old, worn out, blown headgasket 1998 2.0L engine with 210,388 miles (and the factory clutch, 3 registed owner car).
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kcfoxie said:
I have a Chilton repair manual you can have for free if you paypal me the $3 to mail it to you.

Welcome, by the way! You're the type of beetle owner i like -- one that expects problems and will deal with them as they come. I had a CG 02, I loved it 2.0L GL manual windows and no sunroof. I took Charlie back to the adoption agency and then got a 2006 TDI. I never thought I'd see Charlie go, nor did I expect my TDI to be a Jetta. Things happen. I also have a second-run 1998 Black New Beetle awaiting a 1999 2.0L engine to replace it's old, worn out, blown headgasket 1998 2.0L engine with 210,388 miles (and the factory clutch, 3 registed owner car).
Thanx!

You guys are the best...

I thought the Clinton only covered beetles up to 2000 that's why I thought I had to get the expensive Bentley.

I will PM you to work it out...
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much can I get away with....

My dealer seemed to have given me a good deal so far, so, today I decided to find out just how much I could get away with...

I went there and asked the salesman if the old owner had a second key and if I could get it as I only got one.. so.. to my surprise he called the lady and she HAS a mechanics key already coded that she will drop off at her convenience and that I will pick up.. SUPPER!!!

So... I tried even further and asked for the car SKC, 7-digit SKC, 14-digit immobilizer ID#, Workshop code and Importer #....

Well that was a bit much... so the salesman took me to the Service Adviser and he frankly said that they do not give out the 14-digit immobilizer ID#, Workshop code and Importer #... and the only reason I would need the SKC, and 7-digit SKC is to code an extra key and they would have to do it there... so... I did not get the codes.

Unknown to them that I already know that I do not HAVE TO get anything done there... soooooo

... I asked for the code for the radio and the service adviser tried to get it.. but failed in his attempts to remove the radio.. so.. he said that at my next service he would get the technician to get it.. LITTLE DOES HE KNOW.. that I plan to do all the servicing myself... (I am well capable)..

So... I will try another route to try to get the information.. if anyone has ideas.. I am all ears...

ps... what is the average cost to service at the vw dealer?.. does work out cheaper if I do it myself?... if its only going to cost a few dollars extra.. (considering I would have to buy the parts) I may just do it there.

ohhhh...

New Items: Car vacuum, 100% cotton rags, armor-all wet wipes for the leather seats, regular armor-all for other areas, foam cleaner for the tires, new car smell air freshener, defogger for glass.... thats all I can remember now...

till we speak again......
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,725 Posts
antonym said:
New Items: Car vacuum, 100% cotton rags, armor-all wet wipes for the leather seats, regular armor-all for other areas, foam cleaner for the tires, new car smell air freshener, defogger for glass.... thats all I can remember now...
When we remodeled, and owned two New Beetles, we put hot and cold in the driveway. Our cars got warm water baths! (we're getting divorced now, amicably, but he is is in the house that we remodeled :( ) You are discovering that our New Beetles love to be clean, and pampered! :lol: And, don't they look good when clean? ;)
 

·
Autobots! Roll out!
Joined
·
146 Posts
Welcome to the widw wide world of the "ORG"!

It walways seemed to me the dealerships charge a bit more for parts. I went there to see if I could purchase an old beetle 12volt horn, they quoted me $70 something dollars! I bought the part online for $14.95 :D

It has been said in tall legends that you can buy VW key templetes online. Then take these to be coded. I too think it's a crime that they wont tell you the codes. I mean, you ARE the legal owner of your beetle, it's only right you should have all the access.

Oh, and have them code more than one key. My VW sealership said they would have charged me the same labor amount.

And Oh again! Microfiber! Microfiber towels are excellent for interior, glass, and dusting duties. Target has them for sale, 12 pack for $5.99...
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Atomic_Knight said:
Welcome to the widw wide world of the "ORG"!

It walways seemed to me the dealerships charge a bit more for parts. I went there to see if I could purchase an old beetle 12volt horn, they quoted me $70 something dollars! I bought the part online for $14.95 :D

It has been said in tall legends that you can buy VW key templetes online. Then take these to be coded. I too think it's a crime that they wont tell you the codes. I mean, you ARE the legal owner of your beetle, it's only right you should have all the access.

Oh, and have them code more than one key. My VW sealership said they would have charged me the same labor amount.
Thanx.. plus.. I found this site recently: http://www.vw-auto-parts-wholesale.com/

..and NAPA auto parts seems to give good prices.
 

·
Lovin' My Beetle Baby
Joined
·
24 Posts
antonym said:
... I asked for the code for the radio and the service adviser tried to get it.. but failed in his attempts to remove the radio.. so.. he said that at my next service he would get the technician to get it.. LITTLE DOES HE KNOW.. that I plan to do all the servicing myself... (I am well capable)..

So... I will try another route to try to get the information.. if anyone has ideas.. I am all ears...

Welcome Antonym:

You are absolutely right, the folk here rock!

I too recently brought home my Dream Beetle :) (black 1999 Beetle GLS 2.0) & also intend to aquire a repair manual.

When I got it the radio would not power-up so I took it in to the dealer who fixed it free-of-charge (go figure).

My point? Well I have the invoice right here so let me quote it for you:

"Radio had a blown fuse, replace fuse, power is restored to radio but screen is blank, this is an indication radio has terminated itself as if it was being given the wrong codes. Radio code 1819."

I hope this will be of some use to you.

Peace
 

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx ChrysalisUnfurled...


... and its just by coincidence my car has the first 5 letters of your name as its name...

I just saw that... strange world.
 

·
Lovin' My Beetle Baby
Joined
·
24 Posts
& just what is wrong with being strange?

What & Chrysalis Unfurled isn't? Being an entomologist you would 'get it', I usually have to explain what it means.
The most interesting people I know are 'strange' or 'weird' so don't knock it! ;)

By the way, I like your thought process in the choice of monikers...its a very apt name.

Peace,
Chrys
 
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Top