VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I was an idiot and replaced my not dead high beam bulb last night when my low beam died on me. I dropped the high beam original, and couldn't use it in the low beam. Today I get a new bulb but the assembly won't come out. I made sure it wasn't locked and pulled and wiggled. The first half of the assembly - lense and paintable chrome area -- came off in my hands. a strip of guide plastic also came off of the rest of the assembly's right side (facing back of unit). I can't get it out, it seems to be wedeged on the fender somehow ontop. I'm really really devistated by this, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the car to a shop or dealer to get this fixed now. The clips broke totally OFF that hold the two halves together, so a new rear half is essential.

Anyone know where I can get one for less than $400? I really didn't need this to happen at Christmas.. :(

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops.. here are the photos. I taped the lense back on. It's seal is coming apart, so I figured that now would be a good time to go on with the black out headlights project. I'll park my car under the car wash when I do it, as it's been rainy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
are you talking about the "eyebrows" came off? if that's the case, then some double sided tape from any auto parts store will work....If it's the actual clear lens from the headlight that came off, then some crazy glue and clear caulk is the cheapest way to go...

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bananarama said:
are you talking about the "eyebrows" came off? if that's the case, then some double sided tape from any auto parts store will work....If it's the actual clear lens from the headlight that came off, then some crazy glue and clear caulk is the cheapest way to go...
No. The assembly guide threads have torn apart. The light-housing half of the assembly is pretty much useless now, it will not feed and sit back in the tracks of the fender. I taped the lense back on so that I could keep driving the car.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heh yeah it would look more 'authentic,' but hopefully this won't be for long: got the shipping confirmation on the new headlamp tonight! :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
thos ebay headlights suck,
I bought a pair and the beam of light was all weird and hourglass shaped.
i ened up retrofitting the old and new ones together.
they have a diffrent projector lense or something...

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Schadysnowball said:
thos ebay headlights suck,
I bought a pair and the beam of light was all weird and hourglass shaped.
i ened up retrofitting the old and new ones together.
they have a diffrent projector lense or something...
Oh joy. Well the front half of my original assembly is staying, since I have the eyelids glued onto it. I only need the "back" half of it. I guess if I have to, I'll disassemble and make a better working unit :D

Thanks for the pre-warning, I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well.. i got the new headlight in today. BUT... the level won't latch all the way. It moves a bit tho, so I'm leaving it as is for now. I was successfully able to take it in and out with the half-inch lock three times. I think it's solid???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts