NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
double yellow beetle bug
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am new to the site and I dont' know if this question has been asked before, but I have a 2002 1.8 5-speed Double Yellow Color Concept beetle. My back right brake light is acting all crazy. When you turn on the lights, the light is fine, but when you hit the brakes, it goes out. I have changed the blub, but it is still happening. Does having a bad brake light switch have anything to do with this? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You have a grounding problem. Probably at the bulb socket. Promise. ;)

How do you know your brake light switch is bad?

M.

·
double yellow beetle bug
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we turn the lights on at night and hit the brakes, the brake lights light up like a chirstmas tree and stay on. The EPC light then comes on and kills my cruise control. I have already taken this to the dealer, who stated they fixed the recalls. Mind you that I never had this problem until after I took it to the dealer. They won't fix it again with out keeping her for the day and charging me money that I don't have. :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Need more info!

I guess I'm not understanding. I know there was a brake light switch recall way back (don't remember the year or all the details), but I do believe that recall expired also way back. I'll find the recall notice and see what it says.

Are you saying they fixed it once under the recall, and now won't stand behind the replacement part? If so, how long ago was the last one installed? It is tied to the cruise control so I can understand that there is a relationship.

This is not an terribly expensive part, and you should be able to do it yourself. I'm sure I can find the R&R in the Bentley for you and walk you through it.
Now, lets clarify this light going out thing.

Now, lets talk about this light going out thing. Are you saying that when your tail lights (not brake lights) are already on, and you step on the brake, the right tail light (again not brake light) goes out? If so, I assume it comes back on when the brake pedal is released. Does the right brake light come on? That would typically be the result of a bad ground issue. Lights do strange things with a bad ground. This COULD also be causing you other issue. Let's try to resolve this issue first, and see if it corrects the other one.

M.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
When we turn the lights on at night and hit the brakes, the brake lights light up like a chirstmas tree and stay on. The EPC light then comes on and kills my cruise control. I have already taken this to the dealer, who stated they fixed the recalls. Mind you that I never had this problem until after I took it to the dealer. They won't fix it again with out keeping her for the day and charging me money that I don't have. :(

Yep, it's a brake light switch:bigthumb:

I've had this issue with Cup many moons ago. I didn't have the Christmas light incident like you did though. But the EPC light came on and no cruise control.

If your bulbs are fine, then it's the brake switch. It's an easy fix too, and you can do it- save you some cash on the labor:D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts