NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 convertible new beetle. The mechanic said that someone installed a plastic skid plate and wants me to change it to the metal one. Nothing is wrong with the plastic one. He says that for the convertibles it is a safety hazard, you need the metal plate for lateral stability because you there is not the metal on the roof. True or False?
Susan

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Might be one for the "MythBusters" (lol). I have a hard time believing this item adds any reinforcement to the body. It's the body that needs the reinforcement v. the sedan, not the frame. I think you are unneccessarily concerned; The plastic, and it's probably a very durable composite, and not really plastic, may not offer quite the protection a steel one would, but it very well may, not knowing how heavy of a guage the steel ones are. I don't think I'd be concerned about this either. If you've lowered the chassis, or do a lot of off-raodin' there might be need for concern. Curious now though, gonna' have to look at my '05 NBC.

MORAV

·
Registered
307 Posts
it is not a thing for "convertibles" it is a VW's oil pans are about as brittle as an eggshell thing. IMHO it is an easy scenario to figure out, if your car is dropped or you tend to hit your oil pan often then definitely get a metal skid plate. If you drive responsibly and keep in mind to check if and when you do hit something on your oil pan to make sure it doesn't grenade it then the plastic will do just fine.

but to answer part of the question, the plastic doesn't do much at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the guy was telling the truth because I lowered my beetle and I hit something and lost a screw and had my skid plate hanging.....i went to the dealer for a new screw and I'm friends with the parts guy nd he told me that the skid plate is what supports your car since we don't have the metal roof.....just call the dealer and ask them.....maybe you can just ask what the difference is between a metal and plastic without telling them you have a plastic one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. The car is actually at the dealers service. Not to be sexist, but as a women, I get a heck of a lot of people trying to tell me to replace things unnecessarily. I'm a scientist and just can't seem to see how a skid plate can help with stability. I understand how a metal one is valuable, but if that is the reason, tell me so and I will probably change it, but don't try to scare me with a safety concern. Again, it might really be a stability thing.

·
Sarah'sBug
29 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head!

Smoeckli, I think you are exactly right. In the short time I have owned my beetle, bought it for my daughter, I find it absolutely amazing at some of the prices for parts from dealers. I replace a power steering hose myself with my daughters help in under 2 hours and paid $55 for a gates hose. The stealer wanted $300 for the hose and $200 to put it on. Personally I feel they totally target their major customer which are women. And they are definately not there to help you. A metal skid plate will offer more protection of the oil pan, but if it was meant to increase the stability I think a fine German engineer would have came up with a lot better idea than that. Hope I didnt offend anyone here that is not my intent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts