VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
:)
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Noticing the past few months since its warmed up that my 2000 has a metallic sounding rattle coming from the front of the car.

I had a part of my undercarriage come off in the snow, but put it back up after that storm.

Wondering if its the heat shield or the cat? Can't put it up in the air without going into a shop. I know dealer will charge me to even look at it, but maybe there's a recall for the cat still?

Here's a sound bite for you: https://youtu.be/f_0LArR6Erg

It is at idle, intermittent when accelerating in park, and also when I am driving anything less than 30 MPH. It does NOT make this noise when I'm in reverse (which is the mind-boggling part of this).

My MPG has not changed.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Only way to know for sure is to get under there and check. I will say that any extended warranty for the cat is long gone. Most were only 8 years/80k. But the extension was 10 years/120k for the AEG 2.0 engines (which the last years for those was 2001).

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If it is the heat shield, it will simply fall off at some point and may or may not damage the underside of the car if you driving it. If it is the CAT, at some point the ceramic insert will crack and break into pieces; which will clog it, possibly making it undrivable.

·
:)
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is the heat shield, it will simply fall off at some point and may or may not damage the underside of the car if you driving it. If it is the CAT, at some point the ceramic insert will crack and break into pieces; which will clog it, possibly making it undrivable.
Its getting a look-see tomorrow afternoon from my mechanic (not dealer). Hopefully its something cheap :p

Will report back.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Best to get under the car and perform a "bump" test.

Using either a rubber mallet or the palm of a hand start from the front of the exhaust and work backwards toward the rear of the car. Bump testing is very useful to find problems in the exhaust system. Often you do not need to bump the exhaust very hard.

Some of the catalytic converters had problems with the internal "wrap" and the monolith would become loose and rattle internally inside the converter. Sometimes pieces of the monolith would break loose and rattle like marbles at idle (this happened to one of my converters). As mentioned there are also heat shields on the converters/exhaust and often mounted to the underbody of the vehicle.

But also beware there is also a center exhaust hanger that the weld can easily break, had this happen on my 1.8t. I end up using 2 medium/large hose clamps that I positioned around the center support bracket and this has held up for over 2 years. Removing the exhaust and attempting to weld the broken part would have been difficult and expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts