NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NEW! MEYLE HD Water Pumps; rated, no leak, performance guaranteed for 100k!

Many of us; have had their water pumps end up leaking prematurely and this caused us to replace them in the 5 to 7 year range. I myself, have installed Hepu and Graf water pumps with similar results.

Because of this known problem; Meyle, has recently come out with a line line of "MEYLE HD" water pumps! They have a number of upgrades to their design: special silicon carbide (SIC/SIC) mechanical seals, upgraded bearings, elastomer (HNBR) seals and they are rated with a 100k performance guarantee! I have not tried these water pumps yet but if they are as good as they claim to be; then, I might install one next time!

Check out more info below:

MEYLE-Wasserpumpen

tech sheet: http://www.meyle.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/downloads/produktinformationen/wasserpumpe/Product-information-HD-water-pump-en.pdf

If anyone, has experience or installed one of these; let us know, what your experience was with them! Thanks! :)

Info from Meyle:

Problems with leaky water pumps and the resulting engine damage are a source of great annoyance in the everyday life of a garage. After feedback from the market and at the request of garages, we have therefore dedicated ourselves to the subject of water pumps – with the aim of improving the quality and specifically preventing leaks.

After a thorough development phase and successful tests, there are now 6 new water pumps in HD quality available from MEYLE. By combining uniquely tough components, MEYLE HD water pumps offer quality standards far higher than what can normally be found on the free market for
components:

> made in Germany

> extremely hard-wearing AXIA® mechanical seal from
KACO in OE quality with SiC/SiC seal faces (silicon
carbide) and high resistance to abrasive materials

> housing seal resistant to high temperatures

> water pump bearings in OEM quality

> 4 year warranty on all MEYLE- HD parts

Wulf Gaertner Autoparts AG
Merkurring 111 • 22143 Hamburg • Germany

MEYLE - Autoersatzteile für den freien Teilehandel

Available from ! January 2015 Put an end to leaks: with

MEYLE-HD water pumps to beat frustration in the workshop!

6 new MEYLE water pumps in HD quality for numerous VW vehicle applications.

The new MEYLE HD water pumps are available for the following vehicle applications in the Volkswagen range:

113 220 0018/HD
suitable for VW diesel engines 1.9–2.0 TDI

113 012 0042/HD
suitable for VW diesel engines 2.5 TDI

113 220 0005/HD
suitable for VW diesel engines 2.5 TDI

113 012 0033/HD
suitable for VW petrol engines 1.6i | 1.8i | 2.0i

113 220 0023/HD
suitable for VW petrol engines 1.8 TSI | 2.0 TSI

113 220 0011/HD
suitable for VW petrol engines 2.0 TFSI

When replacing the water pump, the complete cooling system must always be thoroughly flushed and then refilled with new, specified coolant.
Pay attention to the manufacturer's instructions.

Here is their video; "The MEYLE Mechanics: MEYLE-HD Water Pumps"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Hy3eTq5eY

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

The construction of the impeller; is unique, it seems to be stamped steel with a galvanized coating. Others like the Hepu, seem to have a golden looking metal, the current Graf is a stamped steel revised shaped design and in the past, I've seen heavy cast iron types.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Overall, the pump; seems to have nice physical heft, the impeller looks well made and gives a overall, good impression of quality. As noted before, most pumps I have installed; like the Graf, I have been using lately, seems to last 5 to 7 years and then, they start leaking, as the bearing/seal wear out. This one, has a 4 year and 100k rating; which sounds impressive, most pumps, are a year or so. I will be installing this pump soon; so far, things look good and I will report back, after install.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It certainly looks well made. I will be doing the timing belt on my diesel before the end of this month. The kit I buy usually has a Hepu pump in it. I’ve not had any leaking problems....yet but I drive a lot, i last changed the belt, pump and roller in June of 2017 so I’ve reached the 80k mile mark in a little less than 3 years. Maybe age is more the determining factor as opposed to mileage?

I’m certainly interested to know how the install goes and your impressions afterward.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I happen to be working in two 1.8T's and got one timing belt and water pump kit from fcpeuro and one from blauparts. The BP kit, came with a Graf water pump and i thought it would be nteresting to compare the two.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

One major difference, that is obvious; is the Meyle has a metal 8 blade impeller that mimics the original composite plastic design and the Graf has a revised stamped steel design with 7 blades, that they claim has better coolant flow performance, then stock pumps.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Other things i noticed was the timing belt drive pulley; the Meyle seems to have a more solidly built design with the Graf having cut outs, to possibly reduce production costs.

As of 2/17/2020 FCPEURO lists these prices with the Graf being cheaper of the two.

Graf $34.29 (Made in Italy)

Meyle $48.01 (" " Germany)

Hepu $43.19 (" " Germany)

Genuine VW $ 103.60 (plastic impeller)

Meyle has the highest price, aside from a genuine vw part; i would assume production, labor costs are lower but visually, the Meyle part, seems to have some better looking production characteristics.

I have no way of testing any of these pumps to compare their quality but have just been going by my own anecdotal evidence (5-7 years, Geba, Graf, etc.) .

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

One thing i did notice, is the packaging difference; after close inspection they meyle impeller is slightly bent from impact damage in shipment.

I called fcpeuro and they will ship me out a new one.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's good info to keep around for when i need to replace my timing belt/water pump kit next time. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

I'm working on a 2001 audi tt with a 1.8T AWP code engine and happen to be doing a water pump, timing belt swap. It has a bit over 100k and seems to have the original waterpump with plastic impeller. I was surprised to find the bearing to still seems good but the plastic impeller is a bit loose with small cracks near the center metal shaft.
Assuming it is original, it makes you wonder why the original pump lasted so long; my 2002 1.8T new beetle, had the plastic impeller break into three pieces at around 6 years and 42k miles, unfortunatley, was just outside the factory warranty. I have been updating my original thread, after each timing belt/waterpump swap i have needed to do, since then.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Weight of the stock pump

Weight in itself may not be a good indicator of quality but thought I would make a comparison between the various brands.

1. Graf 1 lb. 7.5 oz (metal impeller)

2. Original VW/Audi 1 lb. 8.2 oz (plastic impeller)

3. Meyle 1 lb 10.0 oz (metal impeller)

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Plastic impeller slightly loose and three small stress fractures around the circumference of the shaft; partial or total impeller failure, was probably coming soon.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Original VW/Audi pump; marked "Made in Germany" but the oem for VW, is still an open question (some have suggested the German supplier Hepu as a possibility)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts