NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So far this has been my cars service interval/failure on my waterpumps; i have installed on my car, since new:

2002 new beetle turbo s with awp 1.8T:

1. 6 years @ 42k; vw factory original pump: bearing good, no leaks, plastic impeller. broke into three pieces, no coolant flow caused overheating.

Installed timing belt kit with metal impeller from mjmautohaus

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
2. 6 years, 4 months, 23 days and 35k miles. The old pump was a Hepu; bearing failure, leaking from weep hole.

Installed a water-pump/timing belt kit from Blauparts with a golden colored metal impeller from Graf and a blue colored Gates racing timing belt.

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
It's good info to keep around for when i need to replace my timing belt/water pump kit next time. Thanks for posting.
I have no clue, if the Meyle HD pumps is (in reality),any better, then other brands i have used before with metal impellers (Hepu, Graf). I don't know for sure, however, Meyle is the only company that offers a 4 year warranty and specific 100k rated design waterpump. It maybe just marketing and the warranty time frame, is outside the failure rate of what i have experienced from the Hepu and Graf pumps (although 100k is beyond my milage typically driven). What matters most; milage or time, maybe both? For me the failure seems to be similar but I drive in town locally and do not put as much mileage on my vehicle, others would typically do, in the same time frame. Ultimately, i guess the pump needs to be installed and see how long it lasts.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts