NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an 02 turbo and stiol have a 02 tdi.,both of them have bad microswitches in door latch ,, divers side in tdi and pass side on gas turbo ....so as you know when you open doors there is no. Interior lights , no safefy light in door to warn
cars at nite and no warning chimes to warn you that your lites are still on.. just about every time I ever needed a part changed the dealers have to order it ,,I called all the vw dealers in a 100 mile radius and they all had the part in stock. , this is about a 400 plus dollar job. , I contacted vw and inquired as to if a recall was being considered , there answer was that this was the first time they ever heard a complaint ,, that was in. 2005 .

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
micro switch .scam

Well yes . The part that fails is about as much as a can of pop , so if you.have the tools and the.mechanical skills. To tear into a door and change out the inferior part plus nothing better to do than cool ,,, but in thinking most of the owners of these cars are women., and they will not possess any of those ,, not to mention the 50 dollars they charge there good customers to change a headlite bulb ,,,,I can do one in 3 mins,,,, I'm sure a vw tech.can do it quicker.. my point is vw and there dealer network are some of the most dishonest ecumenical I have ever delt with ,,,, like the time my wifes turbo w ent in for a ignition coil recall ,,,, I asked the service manager to put fresh plugs in ,,, he said sure, that will be 125 bucks. , I said whys that ? His reply ,, you have to take a lot of stuff off in order to get to them ,,,,so I replied ,,, ether you are totally stupid and know nothing about these cars. ,, or your a liar ,,,, and I Hung up ,,,,he called me back ,,,apologize and said it would be just the price of the plugs ,,18.00. Can you amagine how much money these people steal from all. the great people that don't know better and trust them ,,,,,,is sad ,,,and nog recalling those door switches and replacing them with one that could take the slamming is criminal ,,,,, but they got away with it,,,,,,,love my diesel ,,,, hopefully someone else will offer diesels like Isuzu , it would be nice to have a ranger size.pickup that got. 40 mpg ,,,,

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
but in thinking most of the owners of these cars are women., and they will not possess any of those

:rolleyes:

I'm a woman. And I know a lot about my car and work on it. I helped (and not just handed tools, but I mean had my elbows deep in the engine bay and going home covered in grease and grime) rebuild our '84 Jetta TD engine last year. And I know plenty of women who can work on their car. And own tools.

Yes, VW dealers are a rip (honestly, most dealers of any brand are). But no reason to call out us ladies. My NB never saw the dealer after I had the door switch replaced (which was only a few months after I got the car so she went 6 years without dealer care). I go to a local VW shop if I need more serious work done on my car. Plenty of really good VW shops around the country that are run by good people who don't charge an arm and a leg for work.

Its obvious you aren't a VW fan...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
laych

I wasn't.picking on women , its.just that most.Nb drivers are. ,,,, I take it.you haven't tackled the job. ,,, and I don't blame.you ,,,I saw the vortex thing too. , and there is now way.I would.even try .you can't tale one of these for service without spending
500 to 1000 dollars ,,, and.that's for something minor , like replacing a defective
2 dollar microswitch . I
My wife had to have one ,,,, there so cute ,, but what I loved wad the space to the front.,, I felt like George jetson. So I h
Got me a diesel bug,,,,,, a real manly bug . I do as much as I can a far as fixing it. Those were both 02,s ,,, and the latch on mine will never get fixed ,,,,, o did trade hers for an 05 with 10000 miles ,,, powder blue with dark blue top.,,,seems like its way better a far as little things going wrong .had to have the trannie rebuilt on mine at 160000 ( 5000 ). Amoco lifetime warrenty ,,,, have 260000 on it , expect it to fail soon. ,,,, I'm sure aamco.will do everything in there power to not pay ,,,,.so I really love the nb but not the people that make it sell it ., or service it. ,,,, plan to keep mine forever. ,,,, for what I have in repairs in it I could of just bought a new one ,, bought it in 05. With 80000 . P.s. and that dealer didn't even mention it was due for a 1200 dollar timing.belt maintainace ,,,,total scum ,,,, sorry if I offended you , that's not what I ment,,,gus

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
Repairs don't have to cost that much if you go to a local shop vs the dealer. Just have to know where to go.

I never fixed my passenger side latch. I had the switch (bought the $16 dollar water-proof microswitch) and planned to replace it. I replaced speakers in both doors and ran out of time that day to do it. Then I needed time and a place to be able to rip the door apart. I would have if both of those things were met.

No need to spend $1200 on the timing belt service either. I paid $450 for my service at my local shop on my 2.0. The TDI is closer to $700-$750 I believe, but still much cheaper. And honestly its not the dealers job to tell you when service items are due. Not surprised they didn't tell you. And the auto transmissions are trouble. They crap out far to early in their life cycle.

I had my '99 for 6 1/2 years. She was a 2.0L coupled with a 5-speed. Lost her in an accident with less than 102k on her. Never gave me any trouble and I think I spent less than $3k in that time, most of that was in regular maintenance too (new tires, brakes, oil changes every 5k, timing belt, etc). She was a great car to the end. Bought another VW after that too. So far, so good with my GTI. But I am a VW fan. Its in my husband's blood and I grew up loving them already. I know there are issues with them, but I just make sure I do my research before getting in to one. And go to my friendly neighborhood VW shop for work if I need someone else to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
latch

Well..all.the small shops spcializing.in german autos.in my area charge close to what the dealers chaege., the one I go to allways give me something to drive ,, as for buying a used tdi at the vw dealer , your right ,, I should have known about the timing belt intervals ,, when I got home I looked at the manual and couldn't belive that they sold me a car that was due for a major mantance ,,a desent sale person would of saidthe car is due for a 1200 dollar maintenance ,,, be sure you get it done right away. ,, I. Could see a used car dealer doing that , wouldn't be suprised , but I expect more for a factory deaership .,,, but honesty is rare ,,,, really , the only way to not get bent over is buy new and trade or sell when warrenty is up..

·
NB Virgin
62 Posts
Micro Switch OK - Broken Solder Joints

Hi fellow org members.

I had the problems of the driver door acting crazy, locking sometimes, other times ok, never activated the alarm system or closing the windows and sunroof and the alarm going off after unlocking door and starting car.

Also after dropping my key FOB in the river two days ago! (slinging out with my cast net, and they were still on the net when pulled in!) Yes I'm very lucky, they could be at the bottom of the St Johns River...:stupid: right away removing the batteries, cleaning unit with alcohol then drying for a day.. the key FOB now no longer controlled the car ANYTHING.

When trying to re-program the FOB to car it would not work because of faulty door lock mech.
OK broke down following this great link
VWVortex.com - DIY - Replacing the front door window regulator clips and/or door lock module

removed the door mech by following another post here .:toilet:
This was the problem..

I went ahead and re-soldered all connections. Manually check the micro switches with a meter, all were perfect.

Put it all back together and inserted the key locked, held the lock button the horn beeped and the alarm set! :D

put the windows down some, opened sunroof a little, shut door held in lock position and all shut and it armed. Now even my little door LED blinks now. :bubb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
micro switch .scam

Well yes . The part that fails is about as much as a can of pop , so if you.have the tools and the.mechanical skills. To tear into a door and change out the inferior part plus nothing better to do than cool ,,, but in thinking most of the owners of these cars are women., and they will not possess any of those ,, not to mention the 50 dollars they charge there good customers to change a headlite bulb ,,,,I can do one in 3 mins,,,, I'm sure a vw tech.can do it quicker.. my point is vw and there dealer network are some of the most dishonest ecumenical I have ever delt with ,,,, like the time my wifes turbo w ent in for a ignition coil recall ,,,, I asked the service manager to put fresh plugs in ,,, he said sure, that will be 125 bucks. , I said whys that ? His reply ,, you have to take a lot of stuff off in order to get to them ,,,,so I replied ,,, ether you are totally stupid and know nothing about these cars. ,, or your a liar ,,,, and I Hung up ,,,,he called me back ,,,apologize and said it would be just the price of the plugs ,,18.00. Can you amagine how much money these people steal from all. the great people that don't know better and trust them ,,,,,,is sad ,,,and nog recalling those door switches and replacing them with one that could take the slamming is criminal ,,,,, but they got away with it,,,,,,,love my diesel ,,,, hopefully someone else will offer diesels like Isuzu , it would be nice to have a ranger size.pickup that got. 40 mpg ,,,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts