VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
marvins_dad said:
Did someone look into migrating the users over to this new board or was it already decided that it wouldn't be possible?
Well I believe that this hasnt been looked at fully, if I got a hold of the usertables for the old and new versions of the DB I might be able to manaually massage the data via some L337 hax0ring

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
I think it would be very, very tricky. I'm sure it could be done, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. First off, if we don't get it just right, we could end up with the same kind of database problems that put us in the situation to begin with. Second, I'm sort of keen on the idea of losing some dead weight around here, anyway...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Would it be worth listing the pros and cons?

Pros:

1. Losing Dead Weight
  2. Losing Post Counts (Well, we'd lose these anyway)

Cons:

1. Old banned members coming back in
  2. Infrequent users getting confused when their user id and password no longer works (if they come in well after announcement is made)
  3. People stealing each other's screennames
  4. People changing screennames - Not being able to associate old behavior with new name

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
That too has pros and cons. For one, it'll be nice to start fresh with a new thread. Kinda nice to get all the best pics grouped together again.

But then you lose all the cool replies, all the questions about "where'd you get this?", etc.

Also, if people don't move them over, we'll lose a lot of really nice photo threads, if people don't search over there.

:(

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
pdoel said:
  1. Old banned members coming back in
  2. Infrequent users getting confused when their user id and password no longer works (if they come in well after announcement is made)
  3. People stealing each other's screennames
  4. People changing screennames - Not being able to associate old behavior with new name
banned members: gonna have to deal w/that all over again anyway. Shhh. Security through obfuscation. I guess we could mantain the banned IP list, but I don't think it's necessary. Clean slate; just cause it's a new version sounds okay to me.

infrequent: I imagine the whole site will undergo some redesign; meaning color changes etc... they'll eventually just re-register like they'd have to anyway.

theft: Not alot we can do unless a person w/a stolen id comes forward and we can verify this from IP records on the archived site.

changing names: Let'em roll. Some people like changing their names; this'll give them that chance. Otherwise stick w/what you've got. We shouldn't deny name changes when this goes down.

noR

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
SilverVw3 said:
Maybe we could put a rule in stating no stealing other people's screen names.

The only thing I don't like about switching over to the new software is all of our picture threads will be stuck on the old stuff and no one will be able to update their old picture threads.
Yeah... but. The pictures will still be there. So they WILL be able to copy the images from there to their computer (if they're gone) and they'll be able to recreate a new thread. It's a hassle, but I think they'll be okay.

It's not like we're deleting the old ones off the archive or anything.

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
1,450 Posts
noR said:
changing names: Let'em roll. Some people like changing their names; this'll give them that chance. Otherwise stick w/what you've got. We shouldn't deny name changes when this goes down.

noR
Nothing wrong with a little name change! Been wanting to do it for 2+ years!!!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
BUGNME said:
Nothing wrong with a little name change! Been wanting to do it for 2+ years!!!
I just realized something. I don't think the name change is as big a deal as I had originally thought. To be honest, it's the avatars I notice most. Heck, you kinda glimpse them out of the corner of your eye, and know who posted without having to read a user name.

We change avatars every so often, and it takes no time at all to realize who is who. So, I no longer have any reservations about changing screennames during the re-registration process.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
marvins_dad said:
...but, would you want to lock out some usernames from being used?

Like if Pete changes his should "pdoel" be a locked out username...so someone doesn't try to sign up with an old name and reek havock?
That may be a case by case basis type thing? There are a lot of generic names out there with "bug" in them. So I could easily see where some user names may get re-used by someone other than their original owner. And if someone wasn't on here for years, I see no reason why that shouldn't be.

But, in the case of an active user, if, for example, I did choose a different name, and someone like NippleHead decided to sign back up again under that name and reaked havoc, then we just ban that account.

Of course, then it looks like I was banned, and many would rejoice. :(

Bah.

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
Regarding someone stealing some one else's name, if we send an e-mail to active users inviting them to sign up on the new site, we could reduce the possibility of 'cybersquatting'.

·
Super Moderator
14,802 Posts
It seems that we will have do deal with this as it happens.

One good thing: There are hundreds of "never posted" registered users, with good user names, that could be made available for active users. In this case, "name stealing" could potentially be a good thing.

I also don't see this as being a huge problem in the long run.

At another large forum I belong to, this very change recently happened. Nearly everyone migrated over, a few changed their names, most kept their old ones, and NO ONE stole a name.

I just don't see this as a problem.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Here's a question. What we're setting up now, is this what the new area is going to be? As in, this is the new site that will just be tweaked as we go?

If so, we are already registered, and won't need to re-register?

If that's the case, I'm going to sign up with every iteration of TJ that I can think of.

TJandWhisper
TJandGenesis
TJandHybrids
TJtheRev
TJtheDimwit
TJIdontKnowWhyImStillHere

etc. etc. etc.

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts