NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled up tonight. I calculated my mileage and it is the best that I have gotten since buying my '01 Beetle 2.0 in July. My previous best tank was around 29.1 mpg. Today's calculation... 30.719 mpg. My wife and I went on a long trip yesterday. I guess that helped out a lot.

One thing that I did on the last tank was fill up with mid-grade gasoline (89 octane). I don't think this really made that much of a difference compared to the long drive, though.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Best tank I did on my 2.0L was 31mpg. When I stopped using her for a daily driver, she was getting around 27-28mpg average w/ 93000 on the odo.

-Des

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the mileage you guys stated typical? I've only been able to check on a couple of tanks so far due to elec. repairs and getting used to filling the tank up.

We got around 23 on a city tank, and the last tank which was almost all highway only did a little better at 24. The highway tank was typ. 75-80 mph so I guess I'm not going to see good highway numbers at those speeds?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I've gotten from 21 to 28 mpg...avg about 23 though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have gotten anywhere from 26 to 33.1. Right now with my check engine light on I am getting 26. This summer I averaged 30.5 at an average speed of 80 mph. I was driving 1000 plus miles a week. My high number was on a road trip that I never went above 60 mph.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Just curious...what have you guys found is the highway cruising speed that gets you the best mileage? My car's sweet spot seems to be at about 70mph. Just curious to see what everyone else's is like

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Smileybug said:
Just curious...what have you guys found is the highway cruising speed that gets you the best mileage? My car's sweet spot seems to be at about 70mph. Just curious to see what everyone else's is like
ive found that if i keep the car under 3000 rpms i get slightly better mileage...so around 60 on the highway...maybe right above 3K at 68-70

i also have a 5 speed so i know that im going to get a little bit better than an automatic

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't understand why a 5-speed 2.0 L engine can't do better than 29-30 mpg's! The Honda civic with similar engine gets at least 35! And I don't think it has anything to do with driving/clutch technique, I am good at it. I have a 2004 Golf which is always, always 30 mpg, no more, no less. My newly acquired 2001 Beetle barely gets to 30. I have tried someone's suggestion about type of gas (i.e. using BP all the time to help with mileage) which didn't seem to make a difference. I hate to go to mid-grade or premium. Are VW engineers not committed to making a more fuel efficient small engine?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
It's an indestructable 80s engine, I believe. Some things don't get better with time (hence Caddy's current offerings getting the same MPG as their 1956 offerings). :)

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
nb01 said:
I don't understand why a 5-speed 2.0 L engine can't do better than 29-30 mpg's! The Honda civic with similar engine gets at least 35! And I don't think it has anything to do with driving/clutch technique, I am good at it. I have a 2004 Golf which is always, always 30 mpg, no more, no less. My newly acquired 2001 Beetle barely gets to 30. I have tried someone's suggestion about type of gas (i.e. using BP all the time to help with mileage) which didn't seem to make a difference. I hate to go to mid-grade or premium. Are VW engineers not committed to making a more fuel efficient small engine?
I guess it's basically because the "venerable old" VW 2.0 L engine is "old tech." It has 2 valves per cylinder and the Japanese 4 cyl. engines have had 4 valves per cylinder for years for better economy and power, i.e. "efficiency." Also, it appears the VW 2.0 has transmission gearing that is relatively lower in order to compensate for the lower total power output somewhat, and lower gearing = lower m.p.g. Regardless, the 2.0 is still a good, durable engine in my estimation besides being fun to drive. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts