VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the mileage stored in the ECU or the cluster? I need to replace my cluster and don't want to show a lot more miles than what is actually on the car.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
The milage in the cluster; has to be changed through a coding process or you can ship it out, to a specialized vw repair shop like ian @ reflect tuning. That would be the easiest way to do this; otherwise, you would need a new cluster with zero miles or have a used one "zero'd" out. After this; you would need to do a matching and transfer of milage procedure; through the use of VCDS by Ross Tech. It is a time consuming process, which has a certain learning curve to complete and it can be somewhat of a challenge. I would recommend; you have ian @ reflect tuning, transfer your milage reading to the new cluster, cost $50.

Contact him here:

Reflect Tuning :: CONTACT

By the way; why are you replacing the cluster? What is wrong with it; are you sure, the problem is in the cluster? You might consider; having the cluster repaired and that way, your mileage would remain intact and after you receive the repaired speedo back, install it and be done. It would be: plug and play... repair complete. Many repair shops; replace the common onboard components that commonly fail and thus, you would have a more reliable, speedo with "updated" components. Some offer lifetime warranty on their rebuilds; I think, BBA Reman offers the repair and lifetime warranty service. Installing, a used cluster; may end up failing, just like the original as the onboard parts are old and may fail just like the original soon thereafter.

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The milage in the cluster; has to be changed through a coding process or you can ship it out, to a specialized vw repair shop like ian @ reflect tuning. That would be the easiest way to do this; otherwise, you would need a new cluster with zero miles or have a used one "zero'd" out. After this; you would need to do a matching and transfer of milage procedure; through the use of VCDS by Ross Tech. It is a time consuming process, which has a certain learning curve to complete and it can be somewhat of a challenge. I would recommend; you have ian @ reflect tuning, transfer your milage reading to the new cluster, cost $50.

Contact him here:

Reflect Tuning :: CONTACT

By the way; why are you replacing the cluster? What is wrong with it; are you sure, the problem is in the cluster? You might consider; having the cluster repaired and that way, your mileage would remain intact and after you receive the repaired speedo back, install it and be done. It would be: plug and play... repair complete. Many repair shops; replace the common onboard components that commonly fail and thus, you would have a more reliable, speedo with "updated" components. Some offer lifetime warranty on their rebuilds; I think, BBA Reman offers the repair and lifetime warranty service. Installing, a used cluster; may end up failing, just like the original as the onboard parts are old and may fail just like the original soon thereafter.
The fuel gauge doesn't work and now the trip meter isn't working right.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Ok, so you need to decide; if you want to repair the speedo with improved parts, with a warranty (mileage intact) or go with a used speedo, which probably will fail like the original one, require coding, milage transfer service. Which direction do you want to go? :confused:

·
1999 GLS 2.0 m/t
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I'm waiting on a quote from BBA Reman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts