VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I was impressed till he said he replaced the engine but it hen said it was at 918k. So still impressive but would be better if it was original.

Towards the end it started to wonder how many timing belts he's gone through. If he had them changed at 60k like was originally recommended before going to the 100k then we would have almost 200 timing belt jobs. That many belts in parts alone is a lot of money.

There was a Toyota Hilux that was going to make a million miles original engine but it died about 40 miles away as he was going to get a new car.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Huh?

A million miles divided by 60,000 miles per timing belt water pump job would be about 16-17 changes. Not 200.

200 timing belt changes at roughly $500.00 a pop would be around one hundred thousand dollars. ($100,000.00).

200 timing belt changes would be about twelve million (12,000,000) miles or roughly 20 trips to the moon and back or 480 trips around the earth at the equator.

Regardless, the miles on that NB are astounding for how good the body looks.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
That is one loyal Beetle owner! With multiple engine rebuilds and finally an engine replacement not to mention all the repairs cost he could have easily replaced it but didn't just awesome...

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
A million miles divided by 60,000 miles per timing belt water pump job would be about 16-17 changes. Not 200.

200 timing belt changes at roughly $500.00 a pop would be around one hundred thousand dollars. ($100,000.00).

200 timing belt changes would be about twelve million (12,000,000) miles or roughly 20 trips to the moon and back or 480 trips around the earth at the equator.

Regardless, the miles on that NB are astounding for how good the body looks.
Yup fat fingered that one on the phone :lol: could you imagine doing 200 TB jobs that would be insane!

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was impressed till he said he replaced the engine but it hen said it was at 918k.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that he had a rebuild around that point and the shop used the wrong length rod on one cylinder which caused the need for a new engine. Either way it is still very impressive. I would love to see my car go that far on so little. Only 887000 miles to go.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say that he had a rebuild around that point and the shop used the wrong length rod on one cylinder which caused the need for a new engine. Either way it is still very impressive. I would love to see my car go that far on so little. Only 887000 miles to go.
I thought it was rebuilt 3 times but the third was when it had to be replaced completely as the block was shot.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It would be interesting to know; how closely he followed the service schedule and if he ever had to rebuild the transmission (good thing; he didn't have a automatic). It sounds like he didn't have a good shop doing the work for him (a number of issues with engines and unresolvedd issues like the hvac); the amount waterpump/timing belts would be interesting to know and clutches as well (a complete service history would be cool). He was using this as a "company" vehicle for a courier service; I guess in that case, the service costs could be written off? It seems he definitely tried to care for the car; including two paint jobs! Maybe someone should contact him and encourage him to join new beetle.org and then, we could hear "the rest of the story"! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I thought it was rebuilt 3 times but the third was when it had to be replaced completely as the block was shot.
It sounded like he said he had some overhauls but around 918K or so he had to put in a rebuilt engine.

Yeah that's the way I understood it.

It would be interesting to know; how closely he followed the service schedule and if he ever had to rebuild the transmission (good thing; he didn't have a automatic). It sounds like he didn't have a good shop doing the work for him (a number of issues with engines and unresolvedd issues like the hvac); the amount waterpump/timing belts would be interesting to know and clutches as well (a complete service history would be cool). He was using this as a "company" vehicle for a courier service; I guess in that case, the service costs could be written off? It seems he definitely tried to care for the car; including two paint jobs! Maybe someone should contact him and encourage him to join new beetle.org and then, we could hear "the rest of the story"! :)
Yeah it doesn't sound like he had a good TDI guy working on it or it wouldn't have needed a rebuilt engine, unless a TB job went bad or something like that. It would be nice to see a complete list of repairs such as wheel bearings, suspension, etc and what not as well.

If he followed the proper mx schedule then he would have went through 50 fuel filters and 17ish timing belts assuming they went off the 60k schedule and not upgrading to the 100k in 03. I'm willing to bet though that all of that wasn't strictly adhered to and the intervals were stretched some.

Would be nice also to see a running total of repairs, fuel costs and regular maintenance (TB, filters, oil, tires etc).

·
Registered
712 Posts
My local VW independent shop just did a 9th timing belt on a 00 Jetta tdi with a little over 900k. Said it was in great shape and fully expedition back at a million

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
That's not bad, 900k and only replacing the IP once. I hope to get a lot of life out of my replacement IP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts