NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I normally hang out at the TDI club site, but I thought I'd post my latest mod over here too, since it applies to New Beetles. I'm very excited with the results and I'm sure there's plenty of bug drivers out there that have been chomping at the bit for an inexpensive bixenon setup. (I've got around $200 total in it)
The performance of the mini h1 bixenons is just, Wow!

I've designed a bracket so that you can install the Mini H1 Bixenon Projector into your stock headlight housing without having to cut up your housing. The stock adjusters work and with low draw digital ballasts, you won't need to rewire or buy a harness. Also, you can restore your headlights back to stock, if desired.

As soon as I possibly can, I'll post a how to (with pics) along with dimensions and a template for making the brackets.

I made my brackets out of sheet aluminum, cut with tin snips. A drill (or dremel), hole saw bit and a couple of drill bits are the only other tools required to make the bracket.

Once you've cut your brackets, it shouldn't take more that a couple of hours to install the mini h1 projectors. The best part is, there are no alignment issues, and you just adjust the headlight with the stock adjusters as you normally would.

Anyway, for those interested, I'll try and post a how-to with plenty of pics and the template for the bracket just as soon as I can. :)

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ooOoo Got any pics of them turned on? THey look great :)

With that open space around them, they actually look more like an eyeball now *heh*

Thanks! They work way better than they look. lol
I can see now! And the high beams are outta this world.
BTW, those shrouds are just what came with the projectors...
I may try different shrouds, later on.

Haven't taken any night shots, yet. I'll try and get some tonight!

·
Registered
307 Posts
can't wait to see the bracket design, I like the idea and always thought they were very similar if not near identical

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd definitely like to see a how-to as well as a parts list/source for all that you have on your install! :cool:
Looks great!
Hey Thanks! Been following your posts for a couple of years, and I really like the work you've done on Marvin.

I've got a few tweaks left to do and a kiddo about to enter college, so bear with me. I'll get this together, ASAP.

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update

Still working on making the Retrofit an easy, diy'er project.

Resistors arrived. Mounted them in the headlights.
I've also ordered some of the resistors that retrofitters normally use. Those are already clad in an aluminum heat-sink with pre-drilled mounting holes. I'll try 'em out when they arrive. (Always looking for a better, easier, faster way...)
Resistors are necessary to create a load for the high beam relay, otherwise the relay won't release.

Cut slots in the mounting plate (bracket) to allow for rotational adjustment of the projector.

Here's a shot while I was adjusting the rotation of the projector:

Still kicking some ideas around to make this retrofit process as quick and easy as possible. Shouldn't be too long before I can post a how-to. And, if there's enough interest, maybe we can have a quantity of mounting plates professionally cut for those that don't have the time, tools or desire to make their own.
That would really simplify the process.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you get your kit from TRS? I'm getting ready to retrofit my headlights and would love to see your step-by-step. Great work by the way

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you get your kit from TRS? I'm getting ready to retrofit my headlights and would love to see your step-by-step. Great work by the way
Thanks! No, got 'em from a place off ebay. TRS was closed due to moving at the time and I didn't want to wait! lol
From everything I hear, TRS will take the best care of you.

I'm probably about a week or so out from posting a how-to as I've been busy getting my freshman son in college!
I've got a little more testing left with some different types of blind fasteners so that the projector will be easy to align rotationally.

I've got some pics of the process posted in my album that should give you an idea of how I've done mine.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/members/34408-schwarze-kaefer-albums728-bixenon-retrofit.html

I'm very happy with the retrofit, but am planning on also trying the FX-R projectors, if I can get them to fit. :)
The FX-Rs can handle a 50-55watt setup and should have a little better beam spread, but even so, the minis are great!

·
Registered
71 Posts
NB Headlight

Help the right side H/L release arm post is broken off, need help as to how to remove the assy. What is the secret to get it out when this arm is broken.

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I'm going ahead with an FX-R projector retrofit for the bug.
The minis work great, but if the FX-Rs live up to their hype, they should be even better for roughly the same money. Also, the FX-R projector can handle 55 watt ballasts.

Will keep everyone posted.

·
TDI Driver
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Started the FX-R projector retrofit, which should be better than the Mini H1 projectors.

Here's a link to Youtube videos of the Mini H1s in action.

schwarzeKafer's Channel - YouTube

I should have the FX-R retrofit up & running in the next 7-10 days.

I plan to do a set of comparison videos of the Mini H1 vs FX-R.

Will keep you posted!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts