NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Am I being paged again?
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up just like that VROOM!

That is a 2006 New Beetle. Not the turbo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
By the time I was finished with my graveyard shift this morning, it was -27. My 2000 NB groaned a little, but started.
In the meantime, my teen daughter put my 2010 NB in a snowbank! A friend pulled her out with a rope attached to a pickup truck.....:rolleyes:
I can resemble that kinda cold. My 2002 TS was hesitant at first, but then stirred and awoke like a great German (ok... Mexican) grizzly bear fresh out of hibernation! Thank goodness for heated seats :)

How's that 2010? Any major damage?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I can resemble that kinda cold. My 2002 TS was hesitant at first, but then stirred and awoke like a great German (ok... Mexican) grizzly bear fresh out of hibernation! Thank goodness for heated seats :)

Mine was a bit cranky when he started. Poor thing, wish I had a garage for him! Sooo thankful for heated seats!

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
Well, he's being a trooper. -18 when I went out this morning. Rough to start, but a start nonetheless. Wish I could say the same for my garage door opener... definitely smelled something burning there. Would explain why it doesn't open or close now, just groans.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts

Fortunately, no damage at all that I can see. My 2010 is also a Base model with no heated seats. Hope you get your garage-door opener fixed. On a more pleasant note, the 2014 season will be here before we know it.

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
Fortunately, no damage at all that I can see. My 2010 is also a Base model with no heated seats. Hope you get your garage-door opener fixed. On a more pleasant note, the 2014 season will be here before we know it.
We'll see how it goes. Management declined to look at it on the basis that the issue is probably caused by the cold. That may be the case, but a quick look wouldn't hurt so we're not left waiting on a resolution after the temp goes up and we discover it's a bigger issue.

I am beyond ready for the 2014 season. My roof rack arrived today! Just need to get it installed now without freezing my arse off.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was 0º here in Pennsylvania this morning, and my 2013 Turbo started right up. I sure am glad to own a car with heated seats.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It was -36C (-33F) here that day with a wind chill effect equivalent to -51C (-60F). Standard Canadian cold morning.

The week before my engine oil pan heater, the original one installed in 98, died. Isn't that wonderful timing?

So amazingly the bug still was able to start (only due to having a warm battery, its blanket was still heating) when it was -31 weather last week, but very very very poorly. The starter motor would get the engine cranking to about 500rpm and ignition was occurring but not stable until I pressed in the throttle and gave the engine a bit more fuel. Even then it needed me to give it extra juice for the first few seconds until the temp was high enough to allow ignition with the normal amount of fuel given at idle.

When it got to -36, the day I was scheduled to have the oil pan heater replaced, I left the bug running over night.

I do not recommend doing this, caused some damage and came close to destroying the engine. The seal on the oil cooler was old and weak, it cracked and I lost 1/3 of my oil (just changed two weeks ago, sigh). Had the crack been larger I would have lost all the oil, while the car was unattended and idle (so long buggy at that point). I also have a leak now in my coolant system, likely the radiator, but I think that was leaking very lightly before as each time I'm under the car I noticed a residue near the bottom of the radiator.

But, with the oil pan heater new it is warm enough to start the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts