NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here.. I drive a 2003 beetle and have loved it endlessly but have had a horrible experience with my dealer the past 2 weeks...

I brought my car in 13 days ago to have my check engine light diagnosed... they called me to tell me that they recommended replacing the N80 valve, also needed a ground overlay wiring repair, and needed to replace my thermostat and cooling temp sensor due to a cooling malfunction. They quoted me $835 and I had to pay a little over $100 for the diagnosis.

My first thought was to find someone who could do the work for a lot less, but this past week the red warning light for my engine coolant came on. So I brought it back to the dealer today to get the $835 worth of repairs.. they called me and told me they also found that my charcoal canister was cracked and that it would be an additional $600 to replace that. When I asked why they didn't notice it 13 days ago, they said that it was "accident-related"... which makes no sense because I haven't been in an accident! I declined to get it fixed today because I am not made of money by any means...

I am just looking for opinions. What would you do if you were in my position? Should I call the dealer to raise hell? I am just so frustrated with them right now.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Actually your dealer experience sounds about average. The charcoal canister was a gimmie, the dealer saw it the first time, but since it is not a pressing issue and not related to why you brought you car in, in the first place, they let it slide; however when you brought it back the second time they just wanted to see if they could get more money out of you.

Off the top of my head, I do not remember the N80 valve, but the temp sensor and related parts I would change my self.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
I would also say get the codes yourself and post them up. It will help us be able to tell you more and if its more DIY fixes.

·
362 Posts
The black plastic charcoal canisters are easily repaired either with a soldering iron to meld/weld the split or just use neutral cure silicone sealant. The charcoal granules will not be damaged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts