NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have an intermittant problem with my Beetle. If I drive it in the rain or leave it out overnight in the rain when started it has a rough idle, definate misfire. It will also miss/hesitate on acceleration once cruising at speed everything fine. It will gradually get better as the car warms up and dries out. It is definately a moisture issue. What woulf you suggest as first point of interest? Coil maybe?

2000 Beetle 2.0 Gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
wet miss

Sounds like Plug wires or coil easy to test full spray bottle with water spray on near s/plugs one at time then a long wires and the coil it will start bad missing some were

·
Registered
605 Posts
Why would plugs misfire only when its wet outside? The car has a shield on top and bottom and the plugs have almost no opportunity to get wet.

Why would a plug misfire only when wet? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Is the check engine light on?

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Moist air leads to easier tracking of the HV, could be plug base, wire or coil pack though. Depending on age of each I'd change them all starting with plugs, wires then coil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
While your at it, I'd get a torque wrench and retorque your plugs too. Had something similar years ago on an aircooled engine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like Plug wires or coil easy to test full spray bottle with water spray on near s/plugs one at time then a long wires and the coil it will start bad missing some were
Hmmm.... Something about the words: SPRAY BOTTLE , WATER and HIGH VOLTAGE doesn't sound very safe.

:stickpok:

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Hmmm.... Something about the words: SPRAY BOTTLE , WATER and HIGH VOLTAGE doesn't sound very safe.

:stickpok:
I was told by a certified VW mechanic to spray the coil with water. If it hesitates and bogs, no good. If it purrs like a kitten, good to go. :) As long as you're not a dumb :moon:, you'll be fine. You must have nasty looking engine compartments on your cars if you have never sprayed water on them. :rolleyes:

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Your engine bay gets pretty wet while running in heavy rain/spray. The HV isn´t going to short back up the spray from the water bottle and harm you, it may provoke the problem in a controllable way. Engine components have to live in a hostile environment, this is tame.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your engine bay gets pretty wet while running in heavy rain/spray. The HV isn´t going to short back up the spray from the water bottle and harm you, it may provoke the problem in a controllable way. Engine components have to live in a hostile environment, this is tame.
True, but that still doesn't mean I'm willing to spray water on live spark plug wires and coil looking for a crack, frayed/melted wire or defective coil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was told by a certified VW mechanic to spray the coil with water. If it hesitates and bogs, no good. If it purrs like a kitten, good to go. :) As long as you're not a dumb :moon:, you'll be fine. You must have nasty looking engine compartments on your cars if you have never sprayed water on them. :rolleyes:
(One doesn't have to be VW certified, MOPAR, FIAT or whatever... that's rhetoric)
Nope, never said that I have not cleaned the engine of my vehicles nor that I have crud caked engine. I just means there are safer ways to do things rather then getting upfront and personal.

To each their own, man. :cool:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I can understand that maybe the coil pack. The plugs I'm not so sure about however and I live in Washington 255 average days of rain, and the engine never seems to get to wet honestly. I would change plugs at time of coil pack.

I wouldn't rest on just plugs alone though. If moisture built up in a crack on the coil, it would eventually evaporate or if you were driving it in the rain wouldn't the continuous moisture give you a constant issue?

Simonsi makes sense. Other comments saying only spark plugs, I think may be under thinking it or just throwing parts at it.

I would have car scanned for codes before buying parts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Other comments saying only spark plugs, I think may be under thinking it or just throwing parts at it.
My comment about re-torquing the spark plugs... for those without a torque wrench, for those that don't use one, never seen one or have no clue what one is.means: to check to see if your spark plugs are not loose and not to over-tighten them if they are. :D

(My torque wrench gets used often)

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
True, but that still doesn't mean I'm willing to spray water on live spark plug wires and coil looking for a crack, frayed/melted wire or defective coil.
If anyone has ever been harmed by car ignition systems I've never heard of it, the current will take the easiest route to form a circuit, unless you hold the plug in one hand (with it completely out of the engine), and hold the chassis with your other it isn't going to cross your heart, and there isn't enough current to do any harm as far as I am aware...

Don't slip with that plug wrench now... :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
If anyone has ever been harmed by car ignition systems I've never heard of it, the current will take the easiest route to form a circuit, unless you hold the plug in one hand (with it completely out of the engine), and hold the chassis with your other it isn't going to cross your heart, and there isn't enough current to do any harm as far as I am aware...

Don't slip with that plug wrench now... :D
Whatever dude... I'm sure that car ignition injuries get reported all the time and are top #1 most reported at the ER :rolleyes:.... It's not my fault that you were away from the police scanner when they broadcasted it. :D

:horse:

(it's called a TORQUE wrench)

·
Registered
9 Posts
miss went wet

spray water on to plug wires and coil is a very old test used at VW Dealer shops no one got hurt it help find out the problem the wires or coil short out misfires? I have used test over 30 years it works Some people getting to cared away with a ez problem

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've licked both of my thumbs and put them on positive and ground and nothing ever happened.
The chances that a ignition system or any other electrical equipment from a 12v car would kill is extremely low.

There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
12 Participants
SethZhang
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing