NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Love it when a smartass gets too smart.

A plug wrench is for plugs, a torque wrench is for torquing up anything, can be used for plugs with a plug socket.

They are different, that is why they have different words.

If you don't want a conversation why post???
Shoowee! You're some kind of bonafide genius, Aren't cha? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
605 Posts
And as for the "torque" wrench comment. Funny.

I have a Matco 72 tooth digital 1/2 250lbs and a Matco 72 tooth digital 3/8 150lbs. We know what a torque wrench is.

:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've licked both of my thumbs and put them on positive and ground and nothing ever happened.
The chances that a ignition system or any other electrical equipment from a 12v car would kill is extremely low.

There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you.
Um, what do you think a coil does? It steps the voltage up to between 40,000 and 100,000 volts to make a spark that will jump a gap.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Seriously, who's gonna open it up and touch the coils firstly, and secondly I am curious to what the amperage is because volts don't kill. Amperage does.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seriously, who's gonna open it up and touch the coils firstly, and secondly I am curious to what the amperage is because volts don't kill. Amperage does.
You don't have to open it up, it's what is coming out of the coil through the plug wire and to the plug. You are the one who said it's only a 12 volt system, funny you didn't mention amperage then. To show you have no understanding, I will now quote the Bentley shop manual verbatim, it states

"The ignition system produces high voltages that can be fatal."

Sure is funny they didn't consult you and have you set them straight about amperage is what kills and voltage is no big deal. Here they are telling people the ignition system can KILL them.

Go ahead and place a spark plug on your tongue and have somebody crank it over, because to quote you "There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you." When you're knocked on your ass and your eyes are bulging out like a mouse that's been stepped on, you can come back and tell everyone how weak a 12v system is.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As far as the OP goes, just buy a coil for $75 and replace it. It's not if it's going to go bad, but when. My 2000 coil laid down almost two years ago so you've already got your $ worth.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So don´t correct me when you aren´t correct, just makes you look an idiot dude. Same as trying to shut down a discussion that isn´t going your way.
Man, you have the uncanny ability for stating the obvious!!

There is no discussion to be shutdown, just a topic that got side tracked into a circus about: Plug wrench Vs Torque wrench (which I never mentioned anywhere "plug wrench" and YES I do torque my spark plugs, even drain plug with the appropriate socket {DUH!} ) and if spraying water on high voltage was good or bad?

This petty "off topic" bickering is not helping the OP with his problem. Furthermore, if you chose to act like an imbecile.. that's one pissing contest you'll do all alone.

:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Um, what do you think a coil does? It steps the voltage up to between 40,000 and 100,000 volts to make a spark that will jump a gap.

You don't have to open it up, it's what is coming out of the coil through the plug wire and to the plug. You are the one who said it's only a 12 volt system, funny you didn't mention amperage then. To show you have no understanding, I will now quote the Bentley shop manual verbatim, it states

Sure is funny they didn't consult you and have you set them straight about amperage is what kills and voltage is no big deal. Here they are telling people the ignition system can KILL them.

Go ahead and place a spark plug on your tongue and have somebody crank it over, because to quote you "There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you." When you're knocked on your ass and your eyes are bulging out like a mouse that's been stepped on, you can come back and tell everyone how weak a 12v system is.
THANK YOU!!!

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts

Google it, it is the current that kills. That is why static electricity (unless of lightning proportions) doesn't kill.

Higher voltages mean higher (and more likely to be fatal) currents are possible but it depends on the delivery system and its route through the body (which is often key in people surviving a lightning strike).

Don't confuse a product liability-avoidance statement with medical advice or reality.

For a car ignition system to deliver a fatal current of 100mA then it requires the battery to deliver some 350A - which isn't possible on the ignition circuit. Coupled with the intermittant nature of the ignition pulse and it is highly unlikely, google "death car ignition shock" and you get plenty of hits on dead car batteries, some on how car ignition systems shock but aren't fatal but none on actual fatalities.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Google it, it is the current that kills. That is why static electricity (unless of lightning proportions) doesn't kill.

Higher voltages mean higher (and more likely to be fatal) currents are possible but it depends on the delivery system and its route through the body (which is often key in people surviving a lightning strike).

Don't confuse a product liability-avoidance statement with medical advice or reality.

For a car ignition system to deliver a fatal current of 100mA then it requires the battery to deliver some 350A - which isn't possible on the ignition circuit. Coupled with the intermittant nature of the ignition pulse and it is highly unlikely, google "death car ignition shock" and you get plenty of hits on dead car batteries, some on how car ignition systems shock but aren't fatal but none on actual fatalities.
Seems like you figured how how to copy/paste! Told ya that you're some kind of bonafide genius! :rolleyes:

Did you also find the site where you can download Obama's Kenyan Birth certificate too?

·
μολὼν λαβ
210 Posts
Well, hell, y'all, ain't no spark gonna jump from yer coil pack or plug wires or yer sparkplugs (torqued or otherwise) all the way to yer spray bottle of water. So get yer butt in a garage, an' spray th' sucker! Then close the garage door so it's dark, start 'er up and see if she's arcin' all over the place or not. Jes don't watch for too long, or ya might just get yerself asphyxiated, which could make ya dead, or at least SENILE.:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, hell, y'all, ain't no spark gonna jump from yer coil pack or plug wires or yer sparkplugs (torqued or otherwise) all the way to yer spray bottle of water. So get yer butt in a garage, an' spray th' sucker! Then close the garage door so it's dark, start 'er up and see if she's arcin' all over the place or not. Jes don't watch for too long, or ya might just get yerself asphyxiated, which could make ya dead, or at least SENILE.:D
I wonder how long it took you to write that? :confused: Lots of effort for absolutely nothing,

·
μολὼν λαβ
210 Posts
Well, david, laddy, prob'ly not as long as it took you to write all your NOTHING posts in this thread. Don't mess wid me youngun, yer outa yer league.........

·
Registered
322 Posts
So if the chance of fatality is zero, why put in a liability-avoidance statement? Since the chance is zero, shouldn't there also be a liability-avoidance statement for turning on the radio? If both are zero chance, why discriminate?

·
Registered
605 Posts
They can't put 0 % because the chances of it happening are like 1 %.

@Phil: I wouldn't make a post about somone not knowing what they were talking about, when it was you clearly implying that the voltage will kill you, when in fact its current/amps.

Before trying to put someone down, you should double check your posts so your not contradicting yourself.

Voltage doesn't kill! Plain and simple!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
About this Discussion
66 Replies
12 Participants
SethZhang
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing