VW Beetle Forum banner

Misfire when wet.

24K views 67 replies 13 participants last post by  lindseyd64 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I have an intermittant problem with my Beetle. If I drive it in the rain or leave it out overnight in the rain when started it has a rough idle, definate misfire. It will also miss/hesitate on acceleration once cruising at speed everything fine. It will gradually get better as the car warms up and dries out. It is definately a moisture issue. What woulf you suggest as first point of interest? Coil maybe?

2000 Beetle 2.0 Gas

#14 ·
I can understand that maybe the coil pack. The plugs I'm not so sure about however and I live in Washington 255 average days of rain, and the engine never seems to get to wet honestly. I would change plugs at time of coil pack.

I wouldn't rest on just plugs alone though. If moisture built up in a crack on the coil, it would eventually evaporate or if you were driving it in the rain wouldn't the continuous moisture give you a constant issue?

Simonsi makes sense. Other comments saying only spark plugs, I think may be under thinking it or just throwing parts at it.

I would have car scanned for codes before buying parts.

#15 ·
Other comments saying only spark plugs, I think may be under thinking it or just throwing parts at it.
My comment about re-torquing the spark plugs... for those without a torque wrench, for those that don't use one, never seen one or have no clue what one is.means: to check to see if your spark plugs are not loose and not to over-tighten them if they are. :D

(My torque wrench gets used often)

#20 ·
I've licked both of my thumbs and put them on positive and ground and nothing ever happened.
The chances that a ignition system or any other electrical equipment from a 12v car would kill is extremely low.

There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you.

#35 ·
Well, hell, y'all, ain't no spark gonna jump from yer coil pack or plug wires or yer sparkplugs (torqued or otherwise) all the way to yer spray bottle of water. So get yer butt in a garage, an' spray th' sucker! Then close the garage door so it's dark, start 'er up and see if she's arcin' all over the place or not. Jes don't watch for too long, or ya might just get yerself asphyxiated, which could make ya dead, or at least SENILE.:D

#37 ·
Well, david, laddy, prob'ly not as long as it took you to write all your NOTHING posts in this thread. Don't mess wid me youngun, yer outa yer league.........

#40 ·
They can't put 0 % because the chances of it happening are like 1 %.

@Phil: I wouldn't make a post about somone not knowing what they were talking about, when it was you clearly implying that the voltage will kill you, when in fact its current/amps.

Before trying to put someone down, you should double check your posts so your not contradicting yourself.

Voltage doesn't kill! Plain and simple!

#42 ·
They can't put 0 % because the chances of it happening are like 1 %.
So you're saying it can kill you. You are saying there is enough amperage to kill you. Maybe not everyone, maybe not every time, but it can kill you.

This is your quote:

There just isn't enough "juice" in these 12v systems. Spark plugs will just zap you.

This shows you don't know what you are talking about because you are referencing 12v systems. Just prior to that statement you pointed out you touching a 12v battery. There is inference that you thought the spark plugs operate at 12v. When I pointed out the voltage output of a coil you said "Seriously, who's gonna open it up and touch the coils" like you didn't understand the 40k+ volts come out of the coils through the plug wires and to the plugs. If you did understand this then why did you act like you would have to open up a coil to get to it's output. Obviously there is enough amperage to kill someone since the warnings exist and you yourself gave some odds of death. BTW, it was Bentley that stated that the ignition voltage could kill you, so email them and set them straight. I'm sure you know more than them.:rolleyes:

#41 ·
Now why, David, did it you have to edit such a simple post last night? And why did you have to think about it for over 20 minutes? I'm not going to waste any more time with someone who seems to thrive on writing antagonistic posts, or senile enough to advertise that he drives around Denton, TX in an Orange NBC with a specific vanity plate, in which he intends to carry a "full size Beretta with 2 extra mags", all posted on a public forum, no less. Well, I'm not impressed David, with your vanity plates, or your ego, or your intelligence, or your big bad Beretta. You've been a member less than a month, and have already pissed around every tree on the block, and now figure you've marked your territory. But I've no more time for know-nothing meatheads.

#43 ·
I edited it as an addition not as any removal any part of my original reply to your idiotic threat.

Now pay attention because I'm only going to say this once.

In regards to "in which he intends to carry a "full size Beretta with 2 extra mags" and the rest of your irrelevant remarks: 1st of all... it was brought up discussing STORAGE COMPARTMENTS not as any threat towards anyone. 2nd I am WELL aware of every legality of the Texas Penal Code because I have a LICENSE TO CARRY. 3rd I can give a flying crap if you're impressed or not in regards to my vanity plate... AGAIN, it's NOT about you and I certainly fail to see any relevance in your comment. Finally, in regards of me pissing on every tree or whatnot... I fail to see anywhere in any of my posts or replies (other than this one) where there has been such VAST drama over a simple statement:

Hmmm.... Something about the words: SPRAY BOTTLE , WATER and HIGH VOLTAGE doesn't sound very safe.
With all this said. I STILL fail to see how ANY OF THIS PETTY BICKERING AND DRAMA helping the OP and his trouble at hand.

#44 · (Edited)
lol...afraid to spray water on a coil pack?....one word... wuss.

give me a break...20,000 volts at the coil, at like 1 /20 of an amp....

its not the voltage that kills you its the current......static electricity is like what 500,000 volts? and practically no amps.

btw...its almost certain a coil pack......ive had the exact same issues.......they get cracked and get wet inside.

but still dude...your not going to hurt yourself...you odnt CHANGE the coil pack while the car is running!!!

btw...@phil55.....voltage DOES NOT kill, if it did, people would be dying from childrens palm buzzer toys. remember that the manuals tell you not to eat dessicant or drink brake fluid also...which totally ruins my friday night....i really wanted a whiskey and brake fluid....darn it. my point is they have to warn idiots not to do stupid ****. period. its called liability.

bottom line is people have unfounded fears of electricity becuase they cant SEE it and don't understand the basic principles.

BTW...its not the current you are exposed to that kills you, its the current you SINK! this is why linemen can work on high tension wires in the rain and not get killed.....no path to ground

oh , and at all of you....grow the **** up....this petty drama is ridiculous, what is this kindergarten?

#53 ·
btw...@phil55.....voltage DOES NOT kill, if it did, people would be dying from childrens palm buzzer toys.
I think a palm buzzer is vibration and not electricity. All of my posts were in reference to Pseudotropheus telling someone that a spark plug is just a small zap because it's coming from a weak 12v system. I wouldn't hesitate to spray water on a coil to see if a misfire occurs, I've seen an underhood light show before, kinda cool really. My actual point was he doesn't know who reads this and if he says "go ahead and touch a spark plug that's out of the head while it's being cranked over" and the owner has a heart condition or pace maker, it might take them out. I have been zapped by an ignition system and yes I'm still around to talk about it. I do remember it was a bit more than a tickle, it will make you create new words. When I worked at the phone company I got shocked almost on a daily basis, probably explains a lot.:D

#48 ·
btw lol....what exactly is a "full size" berreta? gimmee a break? HELLO!!!! what a 9mm? last time i chedked berreta made more than one model of weapon.....you guys are in the biggest dumb**** pissing match ive ever seen....my beetle can beat up your beetle!!! ROFLMAO!!!

dork fight dork fight!!! I'l put my five dollars on the red dork, you put yours on the blue dork, and we'll watch them fight to the death!!!!

#49 ·
:eek:fftopic:

To enhance your limited knowledge of firearms:

FYI: Beretta, as other gun manufactures, make Full/Compact/Subcompact handguns that varies in size with a variety of different models. Beretta in particular make .22 LR or .25 ACP; .32 ACP; .380 ACP 9mm, 40 cal S&W and 45 ACP.

Did you grasp all that or do I need to use CAPS or BOLD LETTERS?

#52 ·
Here's another alternative:

- Get (1) known good spark plug wire to troubleshoot 'which one is bad' (if there is a bad one)

if that fails

- Even though it may not be directly related, other than the possibility of moisture getting by a lose plug; while your at it:
Pull the spark plugs out, inspect them, re-gap them and put them back in. (Replace bad ones if any) Click on the link Troubleshooting Problems by Sight Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Wires - Facts & Repair Advice

- If ALL that fails... it's the coil!

#55 ·
I'm willing to drop this whole conversation, but my point to you, young David, since you obviously failed to grasp it, was that in this day and age, it is pretty stupid to be telling everybody in this public forum, that you even own a handgun. Anybody can lurk on this forum, and you also advertised your licence plate. Not hard to find your car in Denton. Never mind the desire of some in the gov't to rid everyone of his handgun and any other weapon. And the way in which you revealed that, in spite of your contention that it was a thread about storage, was in an audio thread, about how/where to install a connector for an i-pod. You jumped in there about storing your Beretta in the console like a third grader at show-and-tell. I just thought it was a stupid move on your part. Still do. As far as the topic of this thread, you hadn't been any help that I could tell. I presented a safe way to wet the engine before cranking it to illustrate a way to see if the misfire was due to coil pack or plug wire leakage when damp, since you and others seemed so concerned about someone electrocuting themselves. I did it in a way that poked a little fun, which is why I added the big grin icon.

#56 ·
ANOTHER "OFF TOPIC" (Believe it or not)

I'm going to keep this short and simple for you:

- Chances are YOUNG Walnut... I'm older than you.
- You can drop whatever you want, it doesn't change anything
- You mind to your own affairs and I'll mind to mine
- Keep your advice to yourself... nobody asked for it
- Most people on this forum show/have shown their license plate, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where they live (most have this info in the "about me")
- Unlike you, I'm not a paranoid delusional that believes that the government is out to get my guns (you sound republican)
- Like Charlton Heston said: "You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"
- I can take care of myself and my property, so your "cconcern" is not warranted nor requested
- I think your asinine comments, your pompous attitude and assumptions are beyond stupid and immature. (You do know what happens when one assumes...?) [I'm sure you're old enough to remember the answer]
- You have missed the whole point and have thrown a tantrum over the SIMPLE comment:
"Hmmm.... Something about the words: SPRAY BOTTLE , WATER and HIGH VOLTAGE doesn't sound very safe."
OMG!! it's the end of the world!!
Now who has been acting foolishly childish? Hmm??
- MY BEEF (not cow) wasn't overly and directly about fear of being electrocuted, it was about the frickin' drama over the simple statement I made ^^^. There are OTHER ways that could have been discussed and alternative troubleshooting tips that could have been given to the OP (like the tip I gave) where he/she could have felt more comfortable with the same results.
- For someone that claims to be some "Elder" you sure weren't acting your age (perhaps STILL aren't)

This is MY GIFT TO YOU:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln -

#57 ·
Hmmmm…..you can keep your “gift” as you need it more than I. By the way, Abe borrowed the quote. And you, youngster, have proven my point far better than I ever could, as one who purports to be in his mid 40s, yet acts more like a 20-something know-it-all. Hell, a number of people on this thread alone tried to teach you something, yet you take the position that “alternative troubleshooting tips…could have been given to the OP (like the tip I gave)” which was to torque the sparkplugs, and you act like yours was not only the best trouble shooting tip, but now the only one? Just goes to show, there is no teaching, only learning. Or, since you’re so fond of quotes: “Experience is the best teacher, but a fool will learn from no other.” -Ben Franklin

#58 ·
AnOTHER "OFF TOPIC" (Believe it or not) PART 2

"Experience is the best teacher, but a fool will learn from no other.” -Ben Franklin

It seems like you can keep your quote and bundle it it with the one I gave you... because they both apply to you.

If you want to peruse these shenanigans I'm certain that other members are a bit sick and tired of your condescending off topic digs... PM me anytime, if not, since you have my license plate number and you know that I live in Denton, I'll finish it by giving you my address and we can settle this like men. (You can even bring your dueling banjo). But for God's sake act your "supposed" age!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.