NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car was born in Canada and came with a km/h faceplate, which I removed and replaced with a mph faceplate. I had purchased a used cluster which I couldn't install so I scavenged the faceplate from there. It was scary, but it worked with no parts casualties on either cluster.

I left my active cluster plugged in for the entire process. I removed the two torx t15 screws and pulled the cluster out just enough to access the two metal spring clips holding the plastic cover in place. They're located at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, a utility knife worked best for me. The bottom 2 plastic retaining clips crack off if looked at the wrong way, so slide the clear plastic face towards one side and try to free the other first. If you break them it's not Armageddon, the metal clips up top seem to do 90% of the work.
Removing the silver needle centercaps: pry outward the edge opposite of the needle; my fingernail worked perfect. Then slide the cap off of the needle.
Removing the needles: pull straight out. I used pliers.
Removing the faceplate: Its attached with sticky tape all over. It is made of flexible plastic. A guy on YouTube dissecting a 2008 cluster pulls it from the center rectangular opening
. I did better using a utility knife to pry out the top edge then peel from there with my fingers, top to left to center then top to right to center.
Reassemble in reverse order.

Attachments

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found your video on adding a faceplate on top of the existing one which helped quite a bit, but as much as i search for things i must not be using the right keywords often. Thanks for that vid though, and glad you linked here so maybe future searchers will get the whole picture ahead of ripping in : )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
y2kreflexbeetle
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing