NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VWDope was right and I'm pretty bummed about it.

GLI Airbag:

NB Airbag:

Pretty disappointing as I just had the steering wheel refurbished so it is perfect now. The airbag was perfect too. Guess I have to sell it or?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
:(

Ugh that's disappointing!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I put a Passat Wheel into my 2001 and it was plug and play, here is a pic. my Beetle (Nevwl) had an accident last year. Thus the explanation of the missing door and I was painting the a pillar jam in this pic. Its the only view I could find that shows the wheel installed. MUCH better than that awful looking NB wheel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have now read that earlier, pre-2004, 2005, NBs had the same single connector as the 2003 GLI steering wheel I bought. Need to find a reasonable way to make this work for me. I love the wheel, especially after getting it reconditioned - it's perfect now, but won't install on my '05 NB

Signed,
Still Bummed :(

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was going to put this wheel into Nevwl but it was from a 2000 Cabrio and was much like the one you posted in regards to the airbag wires, I sold this wheel but did find out later that there is an exact version of this one that WILL fit, just look on the Jettas and Golfs. I am sticking with the Passat one

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have now read that earlier, pre-2004, 2005, NBs had the same single connector as the 2003 GLI steering wheel I bought. Need to find a reasonable way to make this work for me. I love the wheel, especially after getting it reconditioned - it's perfect now, but won't install on my '05 NB

Signed,
Still Bummed :(
How much do you want for it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
High mileage driver found
268 Posts
What if you were to swap over the clockspring assembly as well? Although... it might get into swapping over a lot more than that, as the airbag with the dual plugs is probably a dual stage...

(Sorry, kinda thinking out loud... if I get a few spare minutes at work I'll see if I can find anything out about this)

·
Registered
488 Posts
The three spoke version that will work seems to elude me in my quick search of the internet but I saw one in the u pull it on a Jetta I believe, It caught my eye because I had bought the one pictured above that didn't work and noticed this one mounted to the column differently but looked like the same airbag visually, I found this pic on the web that shows the back of the correct wheel though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How much do you want for it?

Not sure if I'm ready to sell it just yet. I bought it for $165 & had the wheel professionally restored for $58 because - it wasn't "perfect" it is now :)

What if you were to swap over the clockspring assembly as well? Although... it might get into swapping over a lot more than that, as the airbag with the dual plugs is probably a dual stage...

(Sorry, kinda thinking out loud... if I get a few spare minutes at work I'll see if I can find anything out about this)
Thanks, Bandi, any help will certainly be appreciated.
After some further research, my current airbag is a 2 stage and the GLI air bag is a single stage. I also found out that after 2004(?) the airbags did change to this 2-stage system

I think if I can find a single stage airbag harness with the correct connector for my NB clock spring it would work.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I REALLY want to get this setup to work on my NB. Look how nice this thing is:

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the steering wheel off today and it looks like I'll have to buy a new clock spring for this setup. The one on my NB has a totally different connector. It doesn't look like too hard of a job.

Anyone have any experience with r&r a clock spring?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's easy, just leave your wheel in the straight ahead position. The new clocks spring will have a tab in it to keep it from spinning, leave it intact until you hit get it installed. Viola, That's it.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's easy, just leave your wheel in the straight ahead position. The new clocks spring will have a tab in it to keep it from spinning, leave it intact until you hit get it installed. Viola, That's it.

Thanks, man. It does seem fairly simple. I found Clock Springs at O'Reilley's Auto Parts out here for a reasonable price & the connection looks like the one on the GLI airbag. To be safe I'll bring it in with me to make sure when I pick it up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Okay, just the same as there is a plug that goes to the air bag itself. There is a plug at the other end of the clock spring That connects down in your steering column. Hopefully these will be the same also. You can remove yours, with no problem. Just pin it down with a zip tie or tape so it doesn't spin.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interestingly, the Dorman (brand at local auto parts store) part number for a 2005 NB clock spring is identical to the part number of a 2003 GTI clock spring (the steering wheel & airbag came from a 2003 GTI)

I'm hoping that means steering column connector will work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts