NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, Happy New Year everyone

I have an opportunity to pick up a nice 3-spoke steering wheel with airbag. I've read and heard that they would be a direct swap for our NBs.
Has anyone done this swap and could share their thoughts about the remove & replace process along with their overall thoughts on making the swap after running with it for some time?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Airbags are not a big deal, just let the battery be disconnected for about 10 minutes before you start messing with the airbag system, and leave it disconnected until you plug your airbags backup. Do not, I repeat DO NOT do it on a day when you're walking around and everything you touch gets a static shock. It is best to wait for a day with higher humidity, maybe even a day when its misty or rainy outside! :pow! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I hate to be the guy with bad news but this swap won't work on an 05 New Beetle. I tried it on my 04 and the Beetle airbag has two connectors going to it, the GLI only has one. The second connector is for Beetles that turn off the passenger air bag via POD's system.

I so wanted to install my R32 wheel. I am going to try and come up with a plan when the weather gets nicer around here.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries. Yours is the first reply I have gotten with year-specific info. I wonder, can I swap the mounting plate, with the connectors, from my NB to the GLI wheel?

-Bob

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i had a r32 wheel. no biggie. good luck. disconnect the battery!!

-jd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts