NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Michelle Duggar just delivered her 16th child, and she's already thinking about doing it again.

Johannah Faith Duggar was born at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and weighed 7 pounds, 6.5 ounces.

The baby's father, Jim Bob Duggar, a former state representative, said Wednesday that mother and child were doing well.

He said Johannah's birth was especially exciting because it was the first time in eight years the family has had a girl.

Jim Bob Duggar, 40, said he and Michelle, 39, want more children.

"We both just love children and we consider each a blessing from the Lord. I have asked Michelle if she wants more and she said yes, if the Lord wants to give us some she will accept them," he said.

The Discovery Health Channel filmed Johannah's birth and plans to air a show about the family of 18 next May.

The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family's construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Jim Bob Duggar, who sells real estate, previously lost his bid for the U.S. Senate. He said he expects to run for the state Senate next year but isn't ready to make a formal announcement.

Michelle Duggar had her first child at age 21, four years after the couple married.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/10/12/sixteen.kids.ap/index.html

Two words: BIRTH CONTROL!
Anyone else think that there should be a "cap" on the # of kids one family can have? Maybe not a law saying they shouldn't have over a certain # of kids, but maybe a tax for everyone over 3 or something like that.

I don't EVER want to have kids, yet I'm baffled as to why people who have kids get tax breaks. What about those of us who don't want to contribute to overpopulation? :confused:

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Anyone else think that there should be a "cap" on the # of kids one family can have? Maybe not a law saying they shouldn't have over a certain # of kids, but maybe a tax for everyone over 3 or something like that.
I'd have to say no to a law, and a tax. But I can understand where you're coming from.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
73standard said:
I'd have to say no to a law, and a tax.
What if this family were on welfare? Should they just be allowed to keep popping them out and other people support them? I'm also for manditory sterilization for those who are on welfare who keep popping the kids out like buns in a bakery.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not saying this like I expect it to happen or anything, but at what point does enough become enough? I understand what manditory sterilization on some would mean to their civil rights, but at some point the situation does get out of hand. I can't imagine what the mother of 16 kids has to go through on a daily basis, the annual cost for upkeep on the entire family has to be $100k plus; ontop of other things: What do you drive to 'haul' 16 kids around in?

I really do think something should be done to those people who are soaking up government assistance while having kids that they can't support left and right.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Trust me, I understand where you are coming from.
My dad's girlfriend is one of 15 kids. How her parents can even remember all of their names is beyond me. I get confused in a room with 4 people in it.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Severecaraddict said:
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/10/12/sixteen.kids.ap/index.html

Two words: BIRTH CONTROL!

I don't EVER want to have kids, yet I'm baffled as to why people who have kids get tax breaks. What about those of us who don't want to contribute to overpopulation? :confused:
yes, i think there should be a cap! anyone who gets "word" from the lord about having babies needs to be checked into a looney bin. i don't understand why hearing voices is grounds for a straightjacket, but talking to "god" is OK. :confused:

i am the rare female who doesn't want children, but by no means do i care who does and doesn't want to have kids. to each their own. however, i'd be interested in knowing how this family supports 16 children. i sure as hell hope they're not receiving aid.

we're overpopulated as it is, let's NOT have 16 kids, eh? i am OK with welfare...to a point. i think people should be cut off after so many years. otherwise, what reason do people have to make a change in their life if they know the government will always help them out?

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Just an FYI, you don't get more money for having more kids anymore. Welfare reform abolished that. Welfare reform also instituted a cap on the number of years you can be on welfare (now called TANF, btw). It's 5 years in my state. That's 5 years in a lifetime, not just at a stretch. I believe it's the same in other states.

If there are extreme, extenuating circumstances, one might get more than 5 years. These circumstances are more directly related to what is going on in your state vs. your personal situation. Example: if unemployment rates are sky-high, they might extend someone past the 5 years realizing that a relatively low-skilled worker would have a very difficult time finding employment in that type of economy.

There may be some states who chose not to institute both of these caps but this would surprise me as Federal funding is tied into instituting these caps.

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
TLC already has a special on this family. I saw it about three weeks ago (this was pre-16th child). They really are something else. They are NOT on welfare, in fact, they own everything out-right. THey have no mortgage, no car loans, no credit cards. Many families could learn a lot from them in regards to shopping, personal possessions, work ethic, etc.

On the flip side though, they looked like a little cult. All the boys had the same hair cut, they all wore khakis and polo shirts. The girls all had long hair (down to their butts), with bangs, and they all wore these really matronly jumpers with peter-pan collars. Weird. But they did sew all their clothes (well, the girls at least), and the mom home schooled all the children!

It was shocking.

Interesting car note: they had two cars, well vans actually. One full-size Ford Econoline van and one airport style shuttle bus! Yikes!

·
Retro/Techno
1,118 Posts
I think anyone can have children, but they should get a license to raise them. I can't tell you how many unfit parents I see in my city! I see small children in the front seats of cars with airbags staring them in the face with mom on her cell phone while the thumpin bass is booming on the stereo. What happens when mom doesn't hear the sirens of an oncoming police car/ambulance, gets in an accident and her child dies because of her negligence? Next thing you know she's all over the local media saying that the police officer/ambulance driver killed her baby. Makes me sick! There are times on teh weekends when I have been out late, stop at the local 24 hour grocery store and there are parents there with small children! It's 2 in the morning! Shouldn't your kids be in bed?

Anyone can have a baby (barring physical problems), but it takes a great person to be a mother or father.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did it mention what the dad does for a living? I can't imagine the upkeep on 16 kids, but I would think that its at LEAST $10,000 per kid every year for food, clothing, insurance, and just the basics needed in life.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Severecaraddict said:
Did it mention what the dad does for a living? I can't imagine the upkeep on 16 kids, but I would think that its at LEAST $10,000 per kid every year for food, clothing, insurance, and just the basics needed in life.
err...Nevermind. If I had re-read MY OWN post, I would know that he's in real estate. :p :rolleyes:

·
same bludden, more taste!
105 Posts
Reminds me of an old saying by the philosopher Andrew Dice Clay:

There once was a lady who lived in a shoe;

she had so many children her uterus fell out! OOOWWWW!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts